Proposed ban on import of hunting trophies

Started by Tripodmvr, Sep 21, 2023, 08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodmvr

Researchers affiliated with the School of Wildlife Conservation at the African Leadership University, Kigali, Rwanda are conducting research on the quadruple bottom line (conservation, community, commerce and culture) impact of potential foreign government bans on trophy hunting imports. 

We would really appreciate your inputs in this survey to gather as much local evidence as possible.  All responses are voluntary and anonymous.   The survey should take a maximum of 10 minutes.

Please feel free to share with your networks.  The deadline for completing the survey is COB CAT Wednesday 27th September.   Thanks in advance.

Survey link - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdTliolWSdFEWbfrcZ9dkF5feWRtwFxqL_mMGXS6kCI67Q9-A/viewform?usp=pp_url

oafpatroll

The mind boggles. I suspect that the clever fellows who I do plumbing for will be able to whip up a model that will show what the reduction in the total area of conserved ecosystems that this will result in quickstix. Foreign hunters pay for the vast majority of natural ecosystems actively conserved in the third world countries where they hunt.   

DaavG

I find it difficult that NGOs not involved in conservation can have such influence on the people and their livelihoods in those countries in almost arbitrary fashion!

oafpatroll

Quote from: DaavG on Sep 22, 2023, 08:05 AMI find it difficult that NGOs not involved in conservation can have such influence on the people and their livelihoods in those countries in almost arbitrary fashion!

The prohibition on the trade in rhino horns is a great example of how counterproductive the 'something must be done so that i can feel smug' crowd's actions can be. There would be substantially larger number of rhino if it were allowed 

Treeman

Just ta piss ya all off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I seriously do not like, agree, understand trophy hunting. To be honest I kinda have a "F'k em!" kind of approach to people who wish to kill something they have no need for.
Aaaaaaand please do not tell me about livelihoods etc, anything based on a wrong can not be justified on economics - its still wrong.
Trophy hunters are just people that wish to kill something for the weird and crazy notion of being able to say " I killed one of them, yusslike ! - they beautiful"

I am rather angry at the moment, as just a few hrs ago I think I lost a farm I have use of. Farmers son shot and wounded a kudu on a open farm, out of season, one of the biggest kudu I have ever seen in the E/Cape, he was so anxious to kill it because it was so big that he took a chance shot and wounded it. We found it 3 days later - what a doos. I have spoken my mind with lots of Fkt - dumb doos and spoilt little shit in that spoken.

He has offered all excuses, evidently he was going to donate it ? So as of now I have either lost the farm or he learnt something.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Whether you like the idea of trophy hunting or not has no impact on the scale of it's economic and conservation benefits. If it is seriously curtailed, which it would be if this dumbassery was to go ahead, an awful lot of people will become unemployed and a great deal of currently wild properties will be turned to other uses. There is no possible upside. For the record, I don't like the idea of killing things for the thrill of hanging their heads on your wall.   

Kola

I do not trophy hunt and do not like it, but thinking about the practical side of it, it has a place in a hunting/conservation economy.

If trophy hunting is influenced by the greenies to the point where it negatively impacts game farmers, some will just farm with something else or give up.

Also, the greenies will not stop there, all hunting will be next on their list after trophy hunting.

Treeman

Oh yea, totally with ya on all aspects - economics does not make it right, but it certainly pays the way. Agree with it all, understand it all,sadly true.

One more thing on my hate list.
Foreigners currency are making my country's pleasures unaffordable to me.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.