Dec 2023 - ONE HORN meets his his end.

Started by Bonsai, Dec 13, 2023, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonsai

Well - not yet.

It's been almost a year that I have been going after this 1 specific impala with one horn, which I call One Horn. I just can't seem to get him, every time I start to get into a range that I can shoot, one of his herd members always ends up seeing me.
 I have taken clients hunting with me while I hunt for one One Horn and give them the chance to shoot if it is not him. I have also shot other rams while trying to get One Horn, but it seems that One Horn knows the game of hunting. So, this weekend after much convincing I finally convinced my dad to take us hunting in the summer heat, so hopefully this weekend I can get One Horn. I have already got a spot on my wall for his horns.
Be interested.
Be Amazed.
Be Kind.
Be Grateful.

Treeman

Here is the Impala Cody speaks of, we going again, taking 2 adults two young boys. Cody takes all these folk hunting, while he searches for this mythical beast.
 The amount of times I have seen Cody walking back to play out the same " Yo boy!"  - " Yuuuuu ! Dad you should have seen, I got ........................................"

Everyone gets their hunt, but one horn ???

Screenshot_20231213_181828_Gallery by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Big body and thick neck. Go for it !!!!!

Treeman

Years ago on Gun Site someone wrote regarding a large Impala they had hunted, someone added something about weights of 36 - 38 abouts animals. I wrote in that thread that we sometimes got 33 kg skin on ewes (I think it was about there)
I saw this ram twice now and I am thinking 38 KG skin on.

TStone wrote of an 40 kg animal I believe ?
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Alldays area - I have seen a 42kg carcass (no skin) that was shot there.

Ds J

Do I get this right:

Eastern Cape kudu is smaller than RSA average?

Eastern Cape impala is larger than RSA average?

Or is it only the Impala in that area?

Ds J

And what is taking so long?

Where is the photo?

;D  ;D  ;D

oafpatroll

I'm so clueless about furred game I doubt I would have guessed the average weight of an Impala of either sex to within 10kg.

Good luck with your quest Bonsai!

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Dec 14, 2023, 11:08 AMDo I get this right:

Eastern Cape kudu is smaller than RSA average?

Eastern Cape impala is larger than RSA average?

Or is it only the Impala in that area?
The average size of both animals are smaller E/cape, but the big trophy's seem to be the same size. I think game farming and transportation has changed the old rules.
We always got some Very big kudu done here though.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

We just got back from the hunt at 10h00, and finished working meat into portions an hour ago. I will post photo's later as I am super tired. Cody did not get one horn, but he did get a Impala that weighed 35 kg clean carcass, head skin all off. This Impala has its own story, never seen the likes of what happened here.

I will try convince Codes to post a post, but he is dead to the world tired and teenage grumpy.
I will download photos, he can write his story, I will write the other story, never seen this before NEVER.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

BBCT

[/quote]

We always got some Very big kudu done here though.
[/quote]

You only got to take a drive thorugh Addo National Park to see how big Eastern Cape kudu (that haven't been shot at for a few generations) can actually get.

Treeman

Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

Cody let me know when you get him, I will help you again with the mounting board, I have this idea I wish to try.