10 kg bloodshot meat - what happened?

Started by Treeman, Dec 16, 2023, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I have never seen this before, not even on the internet.
Cody and I hunted an Impala ram, got the animal just before dark - the animal was 35 kg head feet skin off, clean carcass.
Here's the story.

The animal was at exactly 220 m and the 7mm 08 launched an 154 gr Hornady InterLock at 2640 fps. The animal was hit on the shoulder, but behind bones, the bullet did not hit one bone. On being hit the animals legs collapsed about a third downwards before recovering and springing off out off clearing out of sight.
When we got there the dog was straining and all go go mode and we concluded she was onto the animal. The dog ran 20 ft into bush and the animal wa found.
Dead. We did the bleeding and gutting and went on our way further.
When we went home, this is what met us upon skinning, never seen this before, not even on the net.

This bullet passed through not hitting bone at all, was traveling a pedestrian 2640 fps at the barrel ant only got to animal at 220 m - check this out, from under the ear to behind last rib destroyed. Look at exit wound ?

What the ****** happened here, total destruction.
IMG-20231215-WA0036 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Note front of neck
20231216_104244 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

20231216_104248 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

20231216_144223 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

Click on the video and wait a mo to load
20231216_104204 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

from under ear to almost at back legs.
20231216_143012 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

The meat was ruined everywhere, and when going between hind legs even there. What happened - how ? bullet exited, no massive exit, lungs heart torn, not blown apart just the usual damage, but every muscle blood shor moertoe.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Well done on finding animals, even though it wasn't One-Horn.

I have had a similar scenario where I lost a quarter of a kudu. I also had similar damage to a blue wildebeest, and I shoot a 308 with 180gr Sierra ProHunters @ 2440fps. The only explanation up until now is that the blood moved into all possible cavities.

My guess would be that the animal didn't bleed much when it was gutted? Most of the blood was into the meat and other cavities.

Treeman

Most of the animal is being dumped.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Dec 16, 2023, 09:10 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 16, 2023, 08:58 PMMost of the animal is being dumped.

Dog food?
It becomes a problem, space, cooking, prepping, and then the actual defrosting and using it - every time its a big  problem and two years later its still in freezer kinda thing.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 17, 2023, 09:26 AM
Quote from: Ds J on Dec 16, 2023, 09:10 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 16, 2023, 08:58 PMMost of the animal is being dumped.

Dog food?
It becomes a problem, space, cooking, prepping, and then the actual defrosting and using it - every time its a big  problem and two years later its still in freezer kinda thing.

Throw all the bloodshot meat in a container and freeze it whole. Once frozen, saw the whole into meal size pieces. The dog gets thawed raw meat.

Treeman

Dog food?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Throw all the bloodshot meat in a container and freeze it whole. Once frozen, saw the whole into meal size pieces. The dog gets thawed raw meat.
[/quote]
Now that I had not thought of ? Good idea.
Now the raw meat farts in my living space, what we do about that ?
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Guys, this is a post I really want to know about, how does the whole animal become bloodshot meat ?
This is maybe one of the most interesting, confusing things I have ever seen hunting.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Is there a possibility that a branch could have been hit before the bullet struck the animal?

Treeman

None at all total clean along farm road shot.

Therefore I am me.

Treeman

This was not bullet damage -0 the bullet caused something to happen yes, but this was not caused by bullet material - rule that out. Hit was at 200 m +.
Clean enter and exit - heart damaged on top, lungs damaged but barely destroyed - no real pulpy mess - clean nice wound channel.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 17, 2023, 05:51 PMGuys, this is a post I really want to know about, how does the whole animal become bloodshot meat ?
This is maybe one of the most interesting, confusing things I have ever seen hunting.

The animal was hit in the heart, which means it bled profusely whilst still alive. Why could that not explain a lot of blood in the meat. I had two similar experiences before, both with heartshot animals.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Dec 18, 2023, 01:38 AM
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 17, 2023, 05:51 PMGuys, this is a post I really want to know about, how does the whole animal become bloodshot meat ?

The animal was hit in the heart, which means it bled profusely whilst still alive. Why could that not explain a lot of blood in the meat. I had two similar experiences before, both with heartshot animals.
I am thinking the heart was absolutely full perhaps just starting to contract. Thbullet passed over or next to the heart close enough to tear it but first the pressure wave crushed the heart in a fraction of a second like a coke bottle full of water and you clap hands on its sides - it squirts water out neck, this heart was squashed in some way like that and 200 mills of blood moved at 2000 fps out the way, forced out the heart. The blood vessels and veins withstood the pressure spike but the little capillaries just popped, the pressure died out just before hind legs.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Therefore I am me.

Treeman

One other strange thing that happened with this shot, the wind was pumping from behind us - properly. The shot was very muted, less bang more "schuuuup" so much so that I told cody to check barrel was clear before we even stood up. I already knew it was the wind behind us that silenced the shot so much, did not hear the hit at all, the wind was blow sound away hard.

But it has nagged my mind, the bloodshot meat and same shot was a funny sound.
Therefore I am me.