10 kg bloodshot meat - what happened?

Started by Treeman, Dec 16, 2023, 08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesNotBond

Gees Tree! Thats bad, looks almost like a lightning struck body.

Tripodmvr

Is the 154gr Interlock your normal hunting bullet?

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Dec 18, 2023, 12:50 PMIs the 154gr Interlock your normal hunting bullet?
Yes, for all the slower calibers - 7mm 08, 308, 303 I use interlocks, kills are good and meat damage usually limited. I tried mono bullets, but kills on light - thin skinned game was disappointingly slow.
I have come full circle with bullets, returning to lead again.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 18, 2023, 09:39 AM
Quote from: Ds J on Dec 18, 2023, 01:38 AM
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 17, 2023, 05:51 PMGuys, this is a post I really want to know about, how does the whole animal become bloodshot meat ?
This is maybe one of the most interesting, confusing things I have ever seen hunting.

The animal was hit in the heart, which means it bled profusely whilst still alive. Why could that not explain a lot of blood in the meat. I had two similar experiences before, both with heartshot animals.
I am thinking the heart was absolutely full perhaps just starting to contract. Thbullet passed over or next to the heart close enough to tear it but first the pressure wave crushed the heart in a fraction of a second like a coke bottle full of water and you clap hands on its sides - it squirts water out neck, this heart was squashed in some way like that and 200 mills of blood moved at 2000 fps out the way, forced out the heart. The blood vessels and veins withstood the pressure spike but the little capillaries just popped, the pressure died out just before hind legs.

You once mentioned a bang-flop theory. Could this be it? The bullet hits when the heart is full, causing a massive spike and passing a lot of extra blood through the veins.

Treeman

[/quote]

You once mentioned a bang-flop theory. Could this be it? The bullet hits when the heart is full, causing a massive spike and passing a lot of extra blood through the veins.
[/quote]
Yes this is same kind of thing but on a mega scale. I believe that when an animal is hit in the body and it falls like a CNS shot its because a blood pressure spike caused a brain aneurism - in affect a head shot.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

Does not quite make sense. The lungs are much more fragile than the muscles lower in the body and is also almost directly connected to the heart. If your theory held true, the lungs should be a mass of jelly and the liver destroyed. Are they?

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Dec 19, 2023, 05:04 AMDoes not quite make sense. The lungs are much more fragile than the muscles lower in the body and is also almost directly connected to the heart. If your theory held true, the lungs should be a mass of jelly and the liver destroyed. Are they?
Thank you for pointing this out - very valid. No the lungs were SURPRISINGLY NOT damaged, I recall actually seeing Cody pull one lung out and it was still whitish pink.
I phoned Cody now while typing just to confirm " lungs not so bad tear across top of heart.

So ! Now what ? - Both sides of the animal.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

How did you recover the animal? Was it carried or dragged a distance?
Maybe something that could have caused bad bruising?

Treeman

dragged 10 ft - dead things do not bruise.
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

Can you describe the blood shot. Is it:

A. blood in the meat/muscle tissue. i.e. the meat appears dark red when you cut into it? (usually only found around the bullet hole or when bone has been shattered.
B. thick gooey blood is distributed between the layers of the meat. i.e. in the fascia between the muscle tissue?

Treeman

Massive bubbly bloody pulp, a mess.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Dec 21, 2023, 10:27 AMCan you describe the blood shot. Is it:

A. blood in the meat/muscle tissue. i.e. the meat appears dark red when you cut into it? (usually only found around the bullet hole or when bone has been shattered.
B. thick gooey blood is distributed between the layers of the meat. i.e. in the fascia between the muscle tissue?

Rather B in the cases I experienced. I had the same bubbly slime on the areas between the skin and the meat, and a gooey blood in the meat and in the layers between the muscles.

Treeman

Rather B in the cases I experienced. I had the same bubbly slime on the areas between the skin and the meat, and a gooey blood in the meat and in the layers between the muscles.
[/quote]
To put it plainly, it was all just ruined, in some areas like the neck - all of it everywhere through and through.

I have a tall tail to tell which comes close to this.
I once shot a springbuck which was standing high up a mountain side looking straight down at me. I went for a shot between the eyes and the animal dropped dead. When we retrieved the animal, we could not find a hole anywhere, but it was definitely dead.
The staffe skinned and gutted the animals and called me when mine was gutted to show me the massive damage already visible, like from front to back. When the skin came off, the entire rug string was shot to pieces like the buck I got recently, from front shoulders to rear end all along the back.
Much closer inspection revealed that my head shot which left no hole had in fact traveled over the head between the horns and run through the hair along spine removing hair and in some spots causing just enough skin to be removed that the white was showing. The skin was not broken anywhere - hence the no hole found.
The spine was all "popped" and could be "clicked" about and the entire back a mass of blood shot meat.
If you go to the GS Custom site you will see the letter I wrote in on that matter.

I have not thought of this in 15 - 16 years, only came to mind today when the young girl I was teaching to shoot knocked the .22 box target over without hitting it.
20231221_191710 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

Reason I asked, is that if the animal takes too long to die, and the exit hole does not "vent" properly. The running/breathing animal that is bleeding profusely into the chest cavity, starts to pump this blood into the fascia, infiltrating all the layers around the shoulder, ribs, neck and back.

I mate of mine whacked his meat with a high pressure washer to rid of the red bubbly gloop.

Treeman

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Dec 22, 2023, 07:53 PMReason I asked, is that if the animal takes too long to die, and the exit hole does not "vent" properly. The running/breathing animal that is bleeding profusely into the chest cavity, starts to pump this blood into the fascia, infiltrating all the layers around the shoulder, ribs, neck and back.

I mate of mine whacked his meat with a high pressure washer to rid of the red bubbly gloop.
Second time today I am hearing of using a HP Washer or one of those jet power claim car washing attachments and a floor scrubbing brush to clean up surface bruising meat.
The animal mentioned in OP was through and through, between muscles, against bone, truly throthed.   
Therefore I am me.