FLAT point powder coated .303 bullets

Started by Treeman, Dec 26, 2023, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 06, 2024, 09:07 PMI like the cast bullets seated hard into the rifling, if possible.  It is not always possible, depending on your particular rifle's chamber and threat dimensions and wear.
Is this not a bit risky in regard to bullet getting stuck in lands if you do not fire round and eject round.
[/quote]

Yes, it is.  I apply a crimp to the case mouth to ensure proper extraction from the rifling.

Treeman

Quote from: 223 on Jan 10, 2024, 02:50 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Jan 06, 2024, 09:07 PMI like the cast bullets seated hard into the rifling, if possible.  It is not always possible, depending on your particular rifle's chamber and threat dimensions and wear.
Is this not a bit risky in regard to bullet getting stuck in lands if you do not fire round and eject round.

Yes, it is.  I apply a crimp to the case mouth to ensure proper extraction from the rifling.
[/quote]
Does the crimp not cause more problems than it fix's ? I have never found a reloaded crimp thats better accuracy wize than a no crimp load.
I do not think I am going to be a good lead caste reloading candidate  ;D

Anycase, the loading stopped at primed, set out of scale and components etc, ready to charge and seat bullets - then the wheels came off my plans and work other things just crowded reloading out of the day.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

When using iffy bullets, like PMP, that has a canelure, I have found precision and SD to get better when a roll-crimp is given into the groove. This was when loading for .303.

Sure, it locks you to a single COAL, but the results are sometimes worth it. Try it next time when loading for your .303. Just make sure your cases are trimmed to equal length.

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 10, 2024, 09:26 PM
Quote from: 223 on Jan 10, 2024, 02:50 PM

Does the crimp not cause more problems than it fix's ? I have never found a reloaded crimp thats better accuracy wize than a no crimp load.
I do not think I am going to be a good lead caste reloading candidate  ;D

Anycase, the loading stopped at primed, set out of scale and components etc, ready to charge and seat bullets - then the wheels came off my plans and work other things just crowded reloading out of the day.

To crimp or not to crimp, that is the question?

Well, it depends on various variables, that determine your COL etc.  I only crimp when the bullet needs to engage the rifling in order for the GC to still sit inside the neck.  If you have enough free bore to avoid that, you are in luck.  With a 303 you will never know until you have actually tried it.