Accurate bullets for 308 Win

Started by Againstthegrains, Dec 29, 2023, 10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Againstthegrains

So I bought a Howa 26' 1:10 heavy barrel 7x44 (I would never admit to being so boring as to buy a 308). I am still waiting for an appointment to submit paperwork but I am starting to put my loading stuff together. I have high expectations for this rifle, but if it turns out to be less than a gem, then it will go to the gunsmith for some blue printing/squaring/truing.

What I am looking for are suggestions for some inexpensive but accurate bullets, that I can run through the rifle to iron out any issues (bedding, scope mounts, suppressor, trigger etc) and get a good indication of its accuracy potential. If I can get the rifle to more or less put these through the same hole, then its a keeper, and I can play around with other bullets. I already have sample packs of some local Viper mono's in different weights to try as hunting bullets. I know rifles can be picky and its a bit hit and miss when choosing a bullet, but there are some bullets that seem to be more consistently accurate across different rifles than others. There are also brands that are more consistent. As a starting point I was thinking along the lines of Sierra Pro-Hunter 150gr or Hornady SSTs or interlocks. Any other suggestions or preferences?

Ds J

Suggestions:

1. Find out which bullet weight works best in you rifle, then narrow it down to a specific brand and type.

Or,

2. Use the match bullets mostly used by long distance shooters. Lapua 155gr and Sierra 164gr (?) come to mind. 

Treeman

Use 165/168 gr bullets for the .308, they just work.
That newish cup and core producer - RPN or RPM what ever seems to tick all the box's, especially price.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

With a 10" twist you could easily load 180gr bullets.

Treeman

Its APM bullets available at Co Op and Gunshack
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Dec 30, 2023, 03:10 PMWith a 10" twist you could easily load 180gr bullets.
Yes you can and I do for the Lighty that just shot his first buff with it, but with it comes the 180 gr bullet recoil and less than spectacular trajectory. With 168 gr bullets you have a good trajectory not so far from the 150 gr  and at only 10 gr behind the 180 gr you can do anything if you leave Buff and giraffe out of equation.

Its a .308 why try shoot 270 kinda 150 gr bullets?
Its a .308 why try shoot 300 Win Mag kinda 180 gr bullets ?

I know it can be done and it works, but I really think 180ties in a 308 are special application loads for a .308
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: janfred on Dec 30, 2023, 03:10 PMWith a 10" twist you could easily load 180gr bullets.

Where I hunt, I would have preferred a slower twist, as flat and fast is the order of the day. If I shoot 180's I can almost hear the theme tune from The Wizard of Oz..."Some where over the rainbow" ;)

Once the rifle starts ticking the boxes, and I'll start experimenting with 150's and 130's, and try turn my bushveld gun into a 270 ;D

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 30, 2023, 06:57 PMIts APM bullets available at Co Op and Gunshack

Their name has already come up a few times!

janfred

I'm sure that if you check your trajectory calculations, the difference at any sane hunting distance is not as much as you may think. Add to the conversation that you have to hold less for wind with the heavier bullet and it out-performs a lighter bullet at long range. Also have to mention that plenty hunters much smarter than me insists that heavy and slow penetrates better with less meat damage.

There are reasons why the FTR fellows use the heaviest bullets they can.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Dec 31, 2023, 01:09 AMI'm sure that if you check your trajectory calculations, the difference at any sane hunting distance is not as much as you may think. Add to the conversation that you have to hold less for wind with the heavier bullet and it out-performs a lighter bullet at long range. Also have to mention that plenty hunters much smarter than me insists that heavy and slow penetrates better with less meat damage.

There are reasons why the FTR fellows use the heaviest bullets they can.
Thats why the 168 works so well, just not enough of any of the factors to factor up to anything. Other than mono bullets re-purposing the .308, the .308 in cup and core dress travels well, arrives with authority at correct address and POI and then does the set out task in a manner that is hard to fault. If some extra authority is needed, use a bonded bullet in same weight.
Therefore I am me.