Eating carnivores/omnivores

Started by Ds J, Jan 25, 2024, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

We catch and eat cod, shad, tuna, etc. All of them are carnivores.

In the US, bears are hunted for table fare, and cougar is considered by some to be the very best meat.

In comparison, we should be eating jackal, hyena and lion. Maybe even snakes and crocodiles. (I have heard of some folks eating lion!)

Have you tried any of these?

Would you consider it?

Why / why not?

Treeman

I am sadly very preconceived on what I eat.
Horse ? - NFW !
Cat, dog, lion, bear  ? - NFW !

I have often wondered what would happen if I hunted USA and shot a bear. Would I later that day partake and enjoy a bear steak ? Could I ? The bear matter often comes to my thoughts.

In Aus I ate plenty roo meat, but Wombat was like "no way Hozay!"

If I cook meat for my dogs on the camp grid, heart kidneys etc, I clean the grid very carefully before using for my meat.
 I have huge food issues, do not even want people sitting talking to me over my food. You fart while I am braaing I dump that food, same as those scum bags that fart where there is food - I have physically ended up in fist fights about this matter.
Someone sneezes at a table I leave table, I have real food issues - that's why I do not sleep over at people's houses'.

Now look at how stupid it is, I eat at pubs, restaurant's, no issue, just must not think about it, then sometimes I am out.

I see you digging in your ear, picking at a pimple and its likely i will never eat at, by or from you.
If I went to the army now, or prison, I would likely end up in hospitable.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

I often go to eat out, and see the chef by accident - that may mean no chow for me.

I have always wanted to do that olden days hunter thing of straight after kill, we braai the liver, heart and kidneys in an fatty intestine. Sadly I am far from brave enough.
Same applies to eating heads and brains and testicals, to fkn woosey I am.

I eat beef, but veal turns my stomach because of what it is.

Fkd up ey !
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

;)

Remind me to read this thread before we meet in person!

If we can eat lobster, shrimps, prawns and crayfish, why not jackal?

I seriously wanted to try snake in high school, my dad simply refused to let it into the house.

There was a train restaurant in Midrand somewhere. It had a buffet with 101 dishes. My brother tried lion.

I don't understand all the rule about eating. Some make sense, and others less so.

Pig I seldom eat, simply because of the health issues.

Horse tastes like rabbit: sweet and herby.

Tripodmvr

There used to be a restaurant called "Baccarat" in Bryanston that served strange foods. Had crocodile for the 1st time. Shark was also on the menu. Slaughtering any of our carnivores is a major operation as they can be quite pungent. i have had "skaappeertjies" and "bok se klok" and if well prepared they are very tasty.

Treeman

I will kill and eat a snake, but doves, some days not. By choice I am stupid picky, wont even eat food passed to me by hand if i have a choice, but yet I also know I will eat almost anything if in a survival competition or plainly have too.
I have found my problems are preconceived, very preconceived.
They are also a choice I think - I hate sandwiches which I have not made, never bought one ever, have not eaten someone else made sandwich since Primary school - not even in the army.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

I enjoy eating and take every opportunity to try new things. When I used to travel a lot for work I fount it was handy for breaking the ice and forging relationships. Would ask my local contacts to take me out on the town local style and order all my food and drink for me. Got to eat a number of less common things including snake and camel that way. Only thing I can ever remember declining was a at a fancy Japanese restaurant. It was a fermented whole egg in some kind of bean curd. The guy that did try it had to go back to the hotel because he couldn't stop puking.

@Treeman, if you eat in restaurants then everything that freaks you out about food is happening to your food all the time.

janfred

Never mind the pub meals. Just imagine how many men have touched those door knobs/handles after visiting the loo... Bartop peanuts are apparently the worst.

Going out is not for the faint of heart or vivid imagination.

Againstthegrains

I've tried to make rules, and draw a line as to things I don't eat. Eventually I think I settled for not eating close friends and relatives ;D 

Other than that, I have given just about anything that comes across my table a go. To name a few: Crocodile, porcupine, peacock, alukriekel, sea urchins, emu, camel, kangaroo, dassie, mouse birds, starlings, hadeda, Egyptian geese, lizard, crickets, termites, locusts, snails. I'm keen to try hippo and rooikat. Apparently they are very good.

I have tried balls, brains, liver, lung, stomach, skin, nose, basically every part of an animal. Except the teeth, bones and horns.  :o

For health reasons I don't eat "normal" stuff like dairy products and cereal grains, and I prefer to not to eat feed lot or intensively raised animals... We all have to be odd in some way.

I would have made a great cave man hunter gatherer 8)

Againstthegrains

I removed a night adder from my garden the other day. Dang! I didn't even think of having it for supper ;D

Againstthegrains

I had a friend who was at boarding school in Zim. He used to bring biltong to school after each holiday, and the other boys would take it and eat it. Eventually he started bringing baboon biltong to school to "share", and kept the private stash of kudu for himself.

Tripodmvr

Rooikat was proclaimed as a delicacy by the trapper on a farm near Jansenville. I have not tried that.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jan 28, 2024, 08:46 PMRooikat was proclaimed as a delicacy by the trapper on a farm near Jansenville. I have not tried that.

Ask any Karoo local that grew up on the farms and they will tell you that their two favorite meats are porcupine and rooikat.

From a veterinary prospective I imagine the parasite load would be heavier in carnivores than herbivores, as it builds up as you go up the food chain. A good reason not to eat them raw.