Silver rapids .223 powder coated bullets.

Started by Treeman, Nov 29, 2022, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodmvr

Shoot without it please. Many inaccuracies are blamed on loads when it is in fact the bullet touching the silencer.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Dec 08, 2022, 08:08 AMShoot without it please. Many inaccuracies are blamed on loads when it is in fact the bullet touching the silencer.
any reason the lead bullet would touch and nothing else does ?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

There is no harm in trying and seeing if there is an improvement. A rifle that normally shoots well should not scatter them like a shotgun.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Dec 08, 2022, 10:06 PMThere is no harm in trying and seeing if there is an improvement. A rifle that normally shoots well should not scatter them like a shotgun.
Oh ! totally agree, I just thought that you had some info on lead bullets and silencers or something. I will try it, but I suspect their velocity claims are ambitious.
I am also very dubious of the bullet bases - the base is very critical in regard to accuracy.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 09, 2022, 10:47 AMI will try it, but I suspect their velocity claims are ambitious.
I am also very dubious of the bullet bases - the base is very critical in regard to accuracy.

I don't know what the composition of the coating is but if it's properties are anything at all like powdercoat I'd tend to agree.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 09, 2022, 11:44 AM
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 09, 2022, 10:47 AMI will try it, but I suspect their velocity claims are ambitious.

I don't know what the composition of the coating is but if it's properties are anything at all like powdercoat I'd tend to agree.
I had a long chat with the owner of Silver Rapids today - Gavin, what a nice man, honest, honest enough to say somethings that were not promoting his product, just true - the guy seems to have a thing about straight talk.
The bullets are at the moment more for the SLR guys, 2 MOA at a 100 m stuff.
The goal is to do a one MOA bullet, but they are not there yet or are they? After much chatting Gavin told me of various rifles that produced touching hole results and the reasons they found behind the rifles that were inaccurate.
It seems that hard cases altered the bullet diameters by quiet a bit, particularly previously fired PMP cases which were swageing the lead bullet to below usable diameter. Interesting ?
He also spoke of a new propriety type of coating originating on the shuttle and F1 cars that has a fiber inter poly makeup which they are hoping will get the bullets into the 3000 fps ability zone.

So for now I will work with the info and checks he gave me to see if I can get to the 1 MOA at 50 m and then work from there.
They are also looking at running a second strike, swageing stage to perhaps get the bullet more capable of copper coated accuracy.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

My best .270 cast and powdercoated load is every bit as accurate as the best I achieved with jacketed bullets just at approx 70% of the velocity.

Treeman

I will be loading these to about 2500 fps for another test, I also annealed all the cases - a bit over annealed perhaps.

Would hitting a bullet with a hammer simulate impact ? I am told these bullets are very hard, I wish to test this.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Shoot them into water soaked magazines.

oafpatroll

Smashing the bullets with a hammer is a good way to test how well the coating bonds. Doubt if it's meaningful as a test of what the bullet would do on impact though. I once made a few newspaper targets similar to what Tripodmvr describes. Stuffed rolled newspapers into HTH buckets till I couldn't fit any more in and then topped off with water. Shot them with my Svarog 12G slugs to test their efficacy.

Treeman

I collect last years telephone books for this purpose. I now go to printing shops as well and get the side off cuts.
This works for penetration and deformation/expansion.  I used the hammer to see if the bullet shatters, crumbles or breaks up.
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

Tree, when you going to do battle with those red bullets again? I want to try get our .303 ready and right. Call me.

Treeman

I give up, not even going to try any more. I can not get these bullets to group, I have shot about 80 shots of 4 shot groups, nothing works or even starts leaning towards a receipt.
I forgot to try shoot with out a silencer - that is all it can be now, there is nothing - fokkallee, else it can be.
Must must be touching the silencer - what else.
20221230_190904 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr

The numbers are the string group, so the 2 and other 2 - 3 and 3 were all shot as four shots group 3 and so forth.
I had to enlarge usable page to find some holes, hence the new unshot background sheet.
This is at 50 m

20221230_190949 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr

What the *&^%&^%^&% to do, I want them to work.

Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Treeman

not with me now, but yes a few time 2400 - 2600 was in the test range. I think the last batch was even slower, but had no chroni as was on farm not range
Therefore I am me.