The myth of eye dominance in shotgunning.

Started by Ds J, Nov 05, 2023, 05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaavG

Thank you for the article / book! My son is left eye dominant and right handed and I have been trying to work out how to tackle this.

Tripodmvr

I am also "blessed" with left eye dominance but shooting right handed. I have 2 O/U guns. Surprisingly I shoot the best with a R3500 Chinese "Rooi draak" cheapy. My best in compak has been 15 out of 25 clays. Looks like I have not reached the 10 000 rounds mark as yet. With the price of ammo I am going to battle to get there.

Staan soos 'n kampioen en skiet soos 'n pampoen.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Nov 06, 2023, 05:26 PMStaan soos 'n kampioen en skiet soos 'n pampoen.

Dis vrek snaaks. Kan maklik my leuse wees

I have admittedly not read everything.  However, I can support the concept of aiming subconsciously.  Whenever I manage to do that, the clays break.  It is very hard for a rifle shooter to "switch over" from conscious, calculated and deliberate to subconscious mode.

oafpatroll

I hit the birds more than not when I don't think, don't aim but look and have been consistently practicing mounting and tracking targets in the garden for months before. The very best of those being swallows and bats of which we have many.

Treeman

I won a Springbuck clay shooting, some guy in the club, a spectator said I deserve something(the Springbuck donated) for determination.
I hit my first clay, I hit my second clay second barrel and then proceeded through that set and the next 2 without hitting a clay. I am particularly proficient at missing clays - I do not shoot anymore.

I however as often as not, drop 2 geese for two barrels in the field.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

A short while ago I got the opportunity to shoot (at ;) ) a few clays under the watchful eye of a very good shooter.

Shotgunning is completely different from rifle and handgun shooting!

This article explains quite a lot, and things will be easier the next time.

I also watched some videos on YouTube where a shotcam has been attached to the barrel of a shotgun. One can clearly see the different stages the shooter has to go through.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Ds J on Nov 10, 2023, 08:49 AMA short while ago I got the opportunity to shoot (at ;) ) a few clays under the watchful eye of a very good shooter.

I think this is invaluable and can save a huge amount of time, money, frustration and the entrenching of bad habits. A very good friend of mine was a protea in the '90s and remains competitive enough to have shot in the recent worlds in CT and to frequently win club shoots.

Over the course of three or four pigeon shoots he gave me input that helped me more than any amount of practicing on my own could have.

DaavG

I had a mate coached me a little and he is good shot (not world class but better than me)... His only take away point - watch the clay and then cover it. Helped me immensely and didn't come last!