Polymer coated bullets

Started by ARK, Aug 05, 2022, 08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARK

Hi eveyone

So I have been missing for a while from the forum only cos I'm too caught up at work or with kids and then any free time I spend at the press reloading which is my destresser.

So I have been also visiting the range more often now cos I can but feel like reloading and using CMJs cant be my only option with a glock.... Not sure if the internet is just making me paranoid but feel like too many people advise against lead but I also found out that polymer coated bullets are an option

Does anyone have experience using polymer coated bullets through a glock and can advise if it's a no go? or will it be worthwhile as a cheaper option to reload and enjoy more shooting time

Any experience with the different brands on the market that are polymer coated bullets? Or tips and tricks to using polymer coated bullets?

Brian43x

I bought my first Glock (23c) about twenty four years ago long before the internet. I bought it used and the previous owner and myself both loaded 180 grain hard cast bullets for it. The only thing we did was treat the barrel with Prolong SPL 100 lubricant and never had leading problems. I didn't shoot for a number of years but slowly got back into it last year.
I recently purchased some poly coated bullets for my 23c and my 43x (Silver Rapids). Just loaded up 50 rounds of 9mm and am eager to visit the range to see how they perform.
Will be watching this thread with interest..

Treeman

Quote from: Brian43x on Aug 06, 2022, 02:29 PMThe only thing we did was treat the barrel with Prolong SPL 100 lubricant and never had leading problems
 Now I have used and still do use Pr long for many things non motor vehicle All my oils for lubing have pro long added and it is a part of all my homebrews, so much so that I bought it in 5 lt containers.

For firearm barrels ? huh ? well I never.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

ARK

I
Quote from: Brian43x on Aug 06, 2022, 02:29 PMI bought my first Glock (23c) about twenty four years ago long before the internet. I bought it used and the previous owner and myself both loaded 180 grain hard cast bullets for it. The only thing we did was treat the barrel with Prolong SPL 100 lubricant and never had leading problems. I didn't shoot for a number of years but slowly got back into it last year.
I recently purchased some poly coated bullets for my 23c and my 43x (Silver Rapids). Just loaded up 50 rounds of 9mm and am eager to visit the range to see how they perform.
Will be watching this thread with interest..

It's my first time hearing of prolong lubricant will be sure to check it out, please keep me posted on your test run of silver rapids as they are readily available near me and am thinking of buying a small packet but also don't want to buy something that will be more harmful than beneficial

oafpatroll

My experience of Glocks and polymer (in my case powdercoated) bullets is from my mate shooting a few hundred of my home made 9mms through his 26. There was not a hint of leading and they performed perfectly well. They are Lee truncated cones cast with range scrap at approx 130gn, powdercoated with Powderlak 3000 series and sized .357.

I'd expect commercially coated bullets to work at least as well. 

ARK

Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 07, 2022, 11:51 AMMy experience of Glocks and polymer (in my case powdercoated) bullets is from my mate shooting a few hundred of my home made 9mms through his 26. There was not a hint of leading and they performed perfectly well. They are Lee truncated cones cast with range scrap at approx 130gn, powdercoated with Powderlak 3000 series and sized .357.

I'd expect commercially coated bullets to work at least as well. 

Thank you so much, does that mean no need for extra treatment of the barrel? I'm getting more and more hopeful that my reloading costs will reduce enabling more time to practice and get more muscle memory built handling my firearm

oafpatroll

Quote from: ARK on Aug 07, 2022, 03:43 PMThank you so much, does that mean no need for extra treatment of the barrel? I'm getting more and more hopeful that my reloading costs will reduce enabling more time to practice and get more muscle memory built handling my firearm

Unfortunately I don't have any extensive experience of shooting polymer coated bullets in Glocks but I can't see any reason why they should cause an issue. I have 10's of thousands through my CZ pistols without a hint of leading so I'd expect the same to be true through a Glock.

My bullets cost me 22c each at the price of the last batch of range scrap I bought and I broke even on the mostly second hand equipment I bought in the first batch of 2100 when compared to the prevailing price of commercial CMJ.

ARK

Damn! I can do with a 22c cost per head lol, I really want to give those polymer coated a try it's almost half the price of what I am paying currently. I guess the only way is to try it and see.

oafpatroll

If I could get head for 22c it's all I'd do.

Brian43x

So insomnia had me this morning so I decided to get up and go to the range.. Well all I can say is I'm fairly impressed with the Silver Rapids. Two 10 shot offhand strings at 5M. I dunno what happened with the flyer..

Primers look OK. The only minor gripe I have is the tips of the bullets are not all the same shape so this messes you about with the OAL.

As for lead fouling, I didn't see anything besides a dirty barrel. I tried to take a pic but my skills are a bit lacking. Will be loading up a batch for my 23c next.

ARK

Quote from: Brian43x on Aug 12, 2022, 05:42 AMSo insomnia had me this morning so I decided to get up and go to the range.. Well all I can say is I'm fairly impressed with the Silver Rapids. Two 10 shot offhand strings at 5M. I dunno what happened with the flyer..

Primers look OK. The only minor gripe I have is the tips of the bullets are not all the same shape so this messes you about with the OAL.

As for lead fouling, I didn't see anything besides a dirty barrel. I tried to take a pic but my skills are a bit lacking. Will be loading up a batch for my 23c next.

Keep me posted on that,  what is the OAL you set your seating die at and may I ask what powder you used and if you could share your load data with me please?

Brian43x

[/quote]

Keep me posted on that,  what is the OAL you set your seating die at and may I ask what powder you used and if you could share your load data with me please?

[/quote]

147 grain bullet, OAL 28mm, powder is recommended start load of 3.4 grains of MP200. Gun cycled perfectly and recoil was mild.

oafpatroll

My 130gn bullets make factor with a lower charge weight than was the case with CMJ which is another positive on the cost side.   

Treeman

Quote from: Brian43x

img]https://i.imgur.com/Q7DnH6s.jpg[/img]

why does it look as if some of those primers were different loads or even weapon ? Few of the primers seem to tell different story, few different stories actually. L-R Top -Bottom.
8T and 8B or 10T and 10B
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Brian43x

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 18, 2022, 05:32 PM
Quote from: Brian43x

img]https://i.imgur.com/Q7DnH6s.jpg[/img]

why does it look as if some of those primers were different loads or even weapon ? Few of the primers seem to tell different story, few different stories actually. L-R Top -Bottom.
8T and 8B or 10T and 10B

You got a sharp eye there Treeman. I zoomed in on the pic on my phone and bottom 7 and 8 are not from my weapon. Range pick-ups mixed in with my cases. Should mark my cases in future with a koki pen or something.