Polymer coated bullets

Started by ARK, Aug 05, 2022, 08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Quote from: Brian43x on Aug 18, 2022, 10:39 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Aug 18, 2022, 05:32 PM
Quote from: Brian43x

img]https://i.imgur.com/Q7DnH6s.jpg[/img]

why does it look as if some of those primers were different loads or even weapon ? Few of the primers seem to tell different story, few different stories actually. L-R Top -Bottom.
8T and 8B or 10T and 10B

You got a sharp eye there Treeman. I zoomed in on the pic on my phone and bottom 7 and 8 are not from my weapon. Range pick-ups mixed in with my cases. Should mark my cases in future with a koki pen or something.
Yaaaaas !  this be true.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

ARK

Hi all

I need to pick your brains, so I got 147gr silver rapids, my current set up is for pressing 147gr cmjs, I load 4.0 gr cfe pistol at 28mm OAL on my cmjs. I created a dummy round to test my flare and the silver rapids fitted in perfectly fine like the cmjs do, got the OAL also perfect on 28mm is it a wise idea to just go ahead and continue the process as per my cmj loads?

DuaneWessels

You need to redo your load development.
The Silver Rapids might be quicker than CMJ's with the same load.

I have not loaded CMJ's in a few years but do recall that I got more speed from a coated bullet compared to the same loaded cmj.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

Quote from: DuaneWessels on Aug 31, 2022, 08:27 AMYou need to redo your load development.
The Silver Rapids might be quicker than CMJ's with the same load.

I have not loaded CMJ's in a few years but do recall that I got more speed from a coated bullet compared to the same loaded cmj.

^This. I needed to reduce my MS 200 powder charge by 10% to maintain the same velocity I had with Frontier CMJ when moving over to my cast and powder coated bullets of nearly the same weight. Win win, cheap bullets and more shots per tin.

ARK

Hi everyone, so I worked up a load with cfe pistol powder at 4.2gr on a 125gr silver rapid, however to my inexperienced horror I weighed some of the bullets and found them ranging from 127gr right till 130gr and weighed the overall cartridge that came in from 192gr till 195.5gr... Are they still safe to use? given I didn't weigh the initial bullet before testing so God alone knows what tht bullet head actually weighed when I did my first 5 test roads on the load I worked up... Start at 3.8 gr and it ejected inconsistently

DuaneWessels

Most cast bullets are like that. Has not changed or influenced anything for me. You should be safe to go.

I see CFE has a few options for 124gr/125gr and 3.8 is below each one's starting load.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/hodgdon/hodgdon-cfe-pistol
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

ARK

Quote from: DuaneWessels on Sep 07, 2022, 08:04 AMMost cast bullets are like that. Has not changed or influenced anything for me. You should be safe to go.

I see CFE has a few options for 124gr/125gr and 3.8 is below each one's starting load.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/hodgdon/hodgdon-cfe-pistol

Yeah the reloading data suggested a heavier load but I started so light cos of my previous 147gr set up and worked it up from there which was kinda stupid and costed me some rounds

oafpatroll

3gr variation on 130gr isn't a terrifying range. I don't think that differences like that would be detectable inside of shot to shot velocity variation.

Brian43x

Quote from: oafpatroll on Sep 08, 2022, 08:45 AM3gr variation on 130gr isn't a terrifying range. I don't think that differences like that would be detectable inside of shot to shot velocity variation.

After reading this, I weighed some of my 147gr Silver Rapids and some weighed in at 150gr.. Just glad to read it's not that much of a concern.

ARK

Yeah exactly my relief also, hopefully will find time this weekend to test the 20 I loaded and if it works good then I can plan a good practice session

ARK

Finally made time to test those rounds and they worked perfectly so now loaded the rest of the 250 sample pack and off to the range tomorrow. Does anyone know if Zero Mike's are any different to the silver rapids?

big5ifty

Quote from: oafpatroll on Sep 08, 2022, 08:45 AM3gr variation on 130gr isn't a terrifying range. I don't think that differences like that would be detectable inside of shot to shot velocity variation.

There is always a variation in bullet weight from cast bullets, and also the Frontier CMJ.

I loaded 245gr .430 CMJ's this week, variation was as high as 10 grains. They all shot the same.

DuaneWessels

Quote from: ARK on Oct 08, 2022, 10:19 PMFinally made time to test those rounds and they worked perfectly so now loaded the rest of the 250 sample pack and off to the range tomorrow. Does anyone know if Zero Mike's are any different to the silver rapids?

The biggest difference is the shape of the bullet. The ogive of the Zero Mike is a bit bigger than Silver Rapids and Bullet Corp. I had to drop my COL to 27.8mm with Zero Mike to account for the ogive.

Other than that most of the coated bullets available here works the same.

They make holes in paper...
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za