FN 57 - Enige ervaring/ any experience?

Started by Ds J, Sep 27, 2022, 06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

Middag Mense, om een of ander rede het die FN 5.7 (5.56x28) my aandag getrek en nog nooit gelos nie.

Die idee van n standaard grootte pistool met ekstra ammunisie wat saam met n 9mmP werk klink regtig goed.

Het enigiemand al met so een geskiet, of ander ervaring daarmee?

--------

Does anyone have experience with the FN 5.7 pistol? It is a fascinating cartridge and pistol. The idea of extra shots in a standard sized pistol and performance similar to a 9mmP takes its toll ;) 

janfred

I do not have experience with the round, but I was also looking at getting one a few years ago. I realised quickly the ammunition was going to be a major problem.

Ammunition is scarce in SA. Well, they are less available in the world as well.

The cartridge was not designed to be reloaded; maybe even designed not to be reloaded. Reloading is possible, but presents a challenge.

I quickly realised that the five-seven is not for me.

DuaneWessels

Ammo is the issue, not something you will find in any old shop. Spartan Arms brought a few in and did bring in some ammo, don't know if they still do.

Reloading is possible but it is more like rifle reloading. Dies are available every now and again. Cases also do not last as long as pistol cases.

I actually setup a client a few years back with a Classic Turret and a Lee die set. He eventually sold the gun as ammo, cases were too difficult to find.

It is a sweet shooting gun...
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

Treeman

Seems perfect, but then I ask why 5.7? why not 5.56 ? why did they need a bullet that was no where measurable smaller. seems stupid to create a whole new bullet 0.14 larger, what was the urgent need and gain?

Then the cases need a coating to extract reliably - reloading ?

It all seems so nice, and oh yea I would, but common sense sais that the grave was dug while developing the round.

I am no clever oke, but hell, why not widen the base a fraction to allow for case taper, widen the case to allow for shortness required and use a caliber available - 5.56.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

If ever there was a cartridge that was designed to screw over the general public, it must be this one.
The more I look at it the more I think ' exclusive use, not meant to be popular, not meant to be easily reused etc etc.

The ballistic stats make so much sense in regard to over penetration and limited effective range, would really be a good cartridge for limiting bilateral damage.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

The idea was to make a military cartridge that is effective as a pistol and rifle round. As we all know, they don't reload used brass.

As for the no-taper, it allows for large capacity magazines with no curve required. Which is why you can have a 50 round magazine and still have a compact rifle.

Ds J

Calibre is 5.56mm, just like a 222 or 223.

I like to think of it as a 222Jnr.

One would need to take care when reloading but it should work well enough.

One of the reasons why it should work well is that bullets at a higher velocity tend to have higher impact. Hence it should make a very good defensive round.

Quote from: Treeman on Sep 28, 2022, 11:52 PMSeems perfect, but then I ask why 5.7? why not 5.56 ? why did they need a bullet that was no where measurable smaller. seems stupid to create a whole new bullet 0.14 larger, what was the urgent need and gain?

Then the cases need a coating to extract reliably - reloading ?

It all seems so nice, and oh yea I would, but common sense sais that the grave was dug while developing the round.

I am no clever oke, but hell, why not widen the base a fraction to allow for case taper, widen the case to allow for shortness required and use a caliber available - 5.56.

They actually use a 40gn .224" bullet (Hornady V-max works well), same diameter as any 223 Rem or 5,56x45mm.  The difference in nomenclature arises from the 5,7mm denoting groove diameter while 5,56mm is bore diameter.  Just like .303 and .311".  These people can't make up their minds and standardize caliber designations.

You can think of the round as a rimless .22 Hornet, for use in self-loading guns.

Treeman

You can think of the round as a rimless .22 Hornet, for use in self-loading guns.
[/quote]
It just got worse ?>
Therefore I am me.