CZ Shadow Slide Stops…it’s true.

Started by DuaneWessels, Aug 16, 2022, 12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneWessels

20220813_072205.jpg

I had I hopes for the Golden City IPSC League this past Saturday.
Got my trustworthy Shadow out of the safe and as always wanted to do a few dry fire runs before going to the range.

Racked the slide and out popped my slide stop...broken.

This was a sign that I should rather just get back in bed.

I have heard the stories of slide stops going on Shadows and had a spare ready. Fitted it and went to the range.

Stage 1...a nice 10 second stage turned into a 30 second nightmare.
Trigger not resetting, hard trigger and no hammer drop!

Off to the safety area to inspect the gun...can't see anything wrong and everything works as it should with dry fire.

Stage 2...same thing.

Check again and start thinking a piece of the broken slide stop is stuck somewhere.

Stage 3...a bit better but halfway through the stage the same thing happens again. And then the slide does not stay open on an empty mag...

Score is starting to look very bad but there are 5 more stages...I can do this!

10 rounds into Stage 4 I gave up, same thing keeps happening.

Spend the rest of the shoot patching and loading mags for the wife.

Stripped the gun and gave it a proper cleaning...there was a lot of gunk in the trigger area.
All springs are intact, everything looks good. Only difference is that the spare slide stop I fitted is cosmetically different to the original.
But it should still work and should not influence the trigger or am I missing something?

Anyway I hope to get to the range soon to test the gun.

480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

DuaneWessels

So I found the problem.
Top trigger return spring is an Eemann Tech that has not worked more than 2000 times. You can see how the legs are split apart. This spring has lost it's tension.
eemann.jpg
Bottom 2 springs are CZ originals to show the difference.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

Treeman

That is some detective work, would never have picked up on that myself.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Good detective work on that. I may be wrong but I think that an early symptom of a bad trigger return spring is failure to reset when you ride the trigger back to reset. Fixed that on my ghetto grade preB sport gun with a trigger spring refresh.

oafpatroll

Quote from: DuaneWessels on Aug 16, 2022, 12:43 PMOnly difference is that the spare slide stop I fitted is cosmetically different to the original.
But it should still work and should not influence the trigger or am I missing something?

I don't believe you are. Can't speak for the shadow but I have accumulated a few versions of the slide stops for my pre b in anticipation of the dreaded in match snap. All, including a shadow 2 version work flawlessly in mine.

What I did was I bought the spare slide stop, installed it and shot it about 100 rounds. Swapped it back and the spare sits in my range bag.  Not the same pistol, but I'm using the Shadow slide stop.

The trigger return spring is the other spare part that one should keep in the range bag.  Apparently all the DA CZ75 variants use the same spring.