AK 47 Legend or really nice ?

Started by Treeman, Feb 10, 2023, 03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I have never shot an AK 47, the real thing that is. I have shot a .22 and a 9 mm in some AK like format, actually it was AR not AK, it was fun and costly.

Back to the original AK 47, the one made to kill peaceful people all over the world operated by those on the lowest rungs of the evolution ladder. Every time I see an proper AK I am struck by how ugly it is, it is visual disaster and a ballistic yawn, so why is it so highly rated?

Does it really shoot well ? will I shoot it and mentally compare it to more modern similarities that I have shot and mutter "terrible". I know it does the job, it does not break and and and, but is it nice in ANY way ?

I drove a Ford Cobra (yes a replica) once, I was expecting a lot, I got terrible steering, shit breaks and a bumpy ride, it was actually not nice, so not nice i did not even try stretch it a bit, even though invited too
I watched guys racing rubber ducks and it was so much fun, I raced rubber ducks and it was kidney bleeding terrible.
If I were to shoot a 47, would I walk away less enchanted than before shooting it?

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

I've shot a variety of AK pattern rifles, i.e. AK47, AKM, A74 and recently a 101 in 5.56. None of them gave me a gun boner from a utility or usability point of view but I would still love to own a few for history kicks.

On the assumption that you got lots of trigger time on an R4 or 5 while in the big brown weather force you've already sampled arguably the best of the breed. I haven't had a chance to shoot one of Valmet's copies but some say they are the best. I suspect they would also typically not have a had a chance to sample an original R though.   

Treeman

No Oaf, I am only asking about the original AK 47, I somehow suspect its old legend that will disappoint anyone used to more modern guns.
The R4 was not so bad, never made me want one though, my friends have some of the later, latest R4 - 5.56 variants and they really do shoot nicely.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Kola

They work well for what they are designed and made for (carried and used varieties for about 18 months at some point in my life).

I would want to own one, just because.

Are they great?
No, but they are adequate.

There are much better rifles than the AK and compared to those you will likely be dissapointed.

Ds J

My late father used to say that if one wants something/someone killed, one should always ask a communist - they are good at killing.

Hence the AK in all its forms have one single purpose: it can kill reliably and efficiently.

From several old soldiers who carried and used them I know they are not very accurate, but they work exceptionally well under any given circumstance.

Whether you would like them? Beauty is in the eye if the beholder. The design is roughly 75 years old, has been overtaken and improved, yet it still does the work very well.

Maybe one should compare it to the old VW Beetle, preferably with 6V electric system and 1100cc engine.

Take it for what it is and enjoy it as such. It was never intended to be either beautiful or romantic. When your time comes to buy your own MSR, buy what you love.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Feb 10, 2023, 08:52 PMNo Oaf, I am only asking about the original AK 47, I somehow suspect its old legend that will disappoint anyone used to more modern guns.
The R4 was not so bad, never made me want one though, my friends have some of the later, latest R4 - 5.56 variants and they really do shoot nicely.

I can't see any reason why an R4 wouldn't be better in pretty much every way than an AK but for one's taste in calibre. if you didn't like yours I'm pretty sure you won't like an AK any more.

Shotofrank

I found the AK to be to metallic too my liking, it sounded, felt like metal to metal at every shot, something I find disturbing in any mechanical item - metal to metal clashing sound.
Why, when and where. Then death.