Building a - long range

Started by Newton, Apr 20, 2023, 12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

I have access to a 1200m private range.

The shooting point has a ramped up area for shooting prone. The owner originally brought a mattress to shoot from.

The range starts at 500m, with a bullet trap every 100m further built from truck tyres and filled with sand. Targets are stapled onto a piece of conveyor belt on a sturdy wooden frame in front of each trap.

The targets are not in line, but set next to each other when viewed from the shooting point.

Againstthegrains

It is sometimes nice to have wind breaks around the shooting area, as there is nothing more annoying than your body/rifle/ bench being blown around on a windy karoo day.

With that said, they need to be transparent. I once saw a setup on a farm where they built a tin shack around the shooting bench. It was so noisy that only the shooter could stand it, the rest of us stood outside, and then because you could not see what the shooter was doing, the risk of walking around the front and getting shot by accident was high. That was an epic shooting range idea fail, if you ask me.

Newton

I have since seen quite a couple of setups and now have a much better idea
The old style of sunken butts and lifting frames appear to be a thing of the past - except for the army and F-Class.
Electronic target marking has changed everything

Observation teaches - Experience confirms