Burgsmuller .22

Started by Treeman, Sep 18, 2023, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I have just received a Burgsmuller .22, never heard of them before?
Anycase, its a beauty of a little thing, dainty and small - actually sized proportionally to caliber if that makes sense. It even looks like a .22 at first glance.
Does anyone know about these rifles, I read the basic factory history, but nothing on the specific .22
5 shot mag fed serial #1C6188
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Treeman

Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

I'm starting to get the feeling I should try to be a little more agreeable. The last person that gave me guns was my grandfather and there was no-one else in the family that wanted them. You seem to get given the things fairly frequently. Care to share any life coaching tips ;) 

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Sep 19, 2023, 07:21 PMI'm starting to get the feeling I should try to be a little more agreeable. The last person that gave me guns was my grandfather and there was no-one else in the family that wanted them. You seem to get given the things fairly frequently. Care to share any life coaching tips ;) 
I have been pondering this since a few minutes after you posted.
Perhaps you should ask DsJ, he just gave Cody, Cody I, a 9 mm ruger Pistol, why ?

The owner of this rifle is 71 years old and I took him on his first hunt last year, it was hard, very hard. We in our second year and 6-7 th hunt and still nothing. Plenty chances, just absolute failure to follow through.I have known this of man since first year I opened my business, never been in his house.

In this case he wanted a cheap rifle that would represent his era, "like your old .303, my Dad hunted his whole life with one" I found an original, but scope fitted # 4 .303 for him and did not mark the price up. R2000
He did mention that he found it remarkable that I would find something I could sell for a profit yet get it to him at pay seller directly price. I almost regret letting this one pass, it is simply the nicest .303 I have ever seen, I do not think its been shot, yet its been scoped - the barrel has still got that new coating inside.

We were in the bush recently (trying again to get his first buck) when he mentioned that he had a .22 that was just lying there at home, he wanted it to be looked after, not some guy that was not going to respect it, "I mean its older than I am David"
Later at another try again for his first buck he ventured to me " That .22, would you be willing to reimburse me for the scope and rifle bag I bought, call it R2000, you can have the rifle" I asked Cody about it and we agreed it was a keeper, so I agreed to buying the scope and bag. Vortex scope.

To be honest I have found that most of the weapons I have received are from people who are just not interested, heard about the process, the paper work, the wait and are just not interested, even for a few thousand rands. I just want it gone David, out the house.
I would also admit that I have often helped out in the hope of getting a better deal on one of the items myself. I have found buyers for 3-4 of 7 -8 weapons for someone and then been told to chose one of the left overs for myself. It must be kept in mind that none of these gifted weapons have great value, many are more of a "Dave I would like someone who would treasure it to get it, and I just know Cody will do so later after you as well.
While on this note, a police Captain, head of our firearms department called recently to enquire if he could make Cody the heir to his pellet gun collection - same kind of sentiments.

In short be nice to people, help them when you can, people appreciate people who give of their time, people do try reciprocate by what they feel has value to you, if its a fire arm that has little value, much issue and hassle to them , they only happier.
Ask you something, how many people know of your passion for firearms?
Every person I know for more than a few hours knows about my firearm, hunting, fishing, old things love affair - knowing of your love for fishing is perhaps the link between receiving that 100 year old fishing reel instead of it being dumped or left to rust away, same with the firearms, be the link before handing it in for destruction, make sure you a KNOWN link.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Interesting theme : giving and receiving firearms.

Yes, it happens that one gets a firearm for free. It has happened to me several times, under similar circumstances as with Treeman.

In most cases, folks just don't want a particular firearm, or any one at all, in their house. Whether they sell it, swop it, throw it away or give it away doesn't bother them, it simply needs to be gone.

Two times, I told someone that I wanted to buy a particular firearm from them, and started saving. In the end they simply gave it to me because they know I love firearms. Once I had to contact the seller and cancel the transaction simply because I had to buy medicine with the saved money. The owner gave me the rifle when he heard what had happened.

I have helped moving quite a few firearms between owners, like the Ruger 9mm which went to Cody. The owner has migrated and wanted it off his name, preferably to someone who needs it, or will use it properly. I approached several folks who didn't want it, or still needed competency etc. In the end, Cody got it.

oafpatroll

I had an inkling of why this sort of thing happens and was really being a bit facetious with the question. Good things are often done to people who do good things and that is a good thing.

I once met an older gent at a friend's place. We got to chatting and it quickly became apparent that we shared a kink for guns. He invited me to go next door to look at some of his which turned out to be a collection of military firearms dating from WW2 and before. I oohed and aahed a bunch. Later in the evening he came over and told me quietly that he was in the late stages of a terminal illness and that his emigrated sons weren't interested in the collection and asked me if I would accept them as a gift so as to relieve his wife of the headache of dealing with them. I was stunned to silence by the generosity of the gesture. It turned out that he wasn't too strict on legalities and the licensed guns all had a expired licenses and a few had never been licensed at all. At the time SAPS was not processing renewals for expire licenses and I didn't have the stones to be in possession of unlicensed firearms so I got to decline his offer. Not sure that I could have accepted it were they legit as it was just too big a gift to sit comfortably.   

Ds J

Follow up with the widow. You might still be able to help her.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Ds J on Sep 20, 2023, 10:30 AMFollow up with the widow. You might still be able to help her.

This was a long time ago and the gent solved the problem himself by handing in the expired licence guns and 'processing' the others in a quite creative way. My mate, his neighbor, assisted with both processes. Was a sad loss of some lovely historic pieces but such is life.

Treeman

I just got to thinking now, I must be in the lat 50 + firearms I have given away. Quiet a few people on Gun Site received .22 and shotguns from me.
As a matter of fact, Oaf - DsJ, either of you want a old poachers 410 shotgun ? Beautiful thing,old as the Dead Sea
R00.50 cents
Unfortunately cash only.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Thanks for the offer but a 410 is not something I would use due to not having the facilities to reload for it.

Ds J

Quote from: oafpatroll on Sep 20, 2023, 11:36 AMThanks for the offer but a 410 is not something I would use due to not having the facilities to reload for it.

Oaf, please take it! One reloads .410 with old 303 cases, cardboard and shot. I doubt that it be too much trouble.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Ds J on Sep 20, 2023, 03:42 PM
Quote from: oafpatroll on Sep 20, 2023, 11:36 AMThanks for the offer but a 410 is not something I would use due to not having the facilities to reload for it.

Oaf, please take it! One reloads .410 with old 303 cases, cardboard and shot. I doubt that it be too much trouble.

Get thee behind me!

Treeman

Ya, block of wood. 9.3 I think drill bit (or is it 11.3 ?) sheet hard board, and a drilled out washer. I have loaded 100s of bought paper and plastic cases. You honestly can do it with a dowel center punch hammer and hole cutter. I actually have a whole reloading 410 homemade kit here for the taking.
Therefore I am me.