.410 reloading.

Started by Shotofrank, Dec 09, 2023, 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotofrank

I may be receiving a 410 shotgun, single barrel, very old. Does Lee supply components or kits for the .410 ?
Why, when and where. Then death.

Ds J

This could be very interesting.

Apparently reloading plastic 410 cases is somewhat of a pain in the posterior.

The popular trend is to use 444 Marlin cases.

When using these in a single barrel shotgun, there is no need for sizing the cases. Just de-prime, prime and load again. The over-shot wad is held in place by hot glue or wax.

Tripodmvr

303 cases might be easier to obtain and they also work well after fire forming.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Dec 11, 2023, 10:06 PM303 cases might be easier to obtain and they also work well after fire forming.

This would definitely be my route. Not sure I've ever seen 444 Marlin for sale second hand and processing 410 hulls for reloading just sounds like an oppie.

Ds J

Here are some answers from a US forum. I asked the experienced folks over there.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/noob-410-reloading-many-questions.565987/#post-4970975

They have a wealth of info on 410 reloading; obviously they differ on some points, but still very useful.

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Dec 11, 2023, 10:06 PM303 cases might be easier to obtain and they also work well after fire forming.

If you want to go this route, first see if the thicker 303 rim will fit in your gun.

Make sure you understand the effort and cost involved in fire-forming the 303 cases in your .410.

Treeman

Quote from: 223 on Dec 12, 2023, 06:24 PM

If you want to go this route, first see if the thicker 303 rim will fit in your gun.

Make sure you understand the effort and cost involved in fire-forming the 303 cases in your .410.
I did a good few .303 case for his gun, I also sent them up to him, gun seems to accept them easly.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

Quote from: Shotofrank on Dec 09, 2023, 09:28 PMI may be receiving a 410 shotgun, single barrel, very old. Does Lee supply components or kits for the .410 ?
Where's the Lee guy that used to post here ? He used to have all the answers.

Tripodmvr

Google 480BC or contact Duane Wessels on the forum = Duanewessels

oafpatroll

The Lee loader in 410 is/was for traditional shotshells. It's not usable if you use brass cases.

Ds J

Watter Somchem kruitsoorte kan in n .410 gebruik word?

S265 werk die beste, maar wat van S221 pf MP200? Ek het nog n bietjie van elkeen oor.

Treeman

all work well enough with velocity drawbacks and I found unburnt propellant. I would say none mentioned are fast enough.
I will also say that start up pressures are too low - not a thing u wish to test with that 100 year old ol gun I gave you.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Stick to S265 or an imported equivalent?

Treeman

I think LittleGun is a top choice and one of the ?? Dot names (I think), but Little Gun is go to.
Therefore I am me.