A " new" 30 Cal

Started by Newton, Jan 01, 2024, 07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

big5ifty

Great project, well done.

Always refreshing to witness the ingenuity and determination of someone not satisfied with what everyone else is satisfied with, and make their own.

On a side note, the belt does not complicate the reloading process at all for me, I just ignore it. Size the fired case to fit the chamber as if there was no belt.

The short, fat cartridges do present a new set of challenges when reliable magazine feeding comes into play, especially when long for caliber, heavy bullets are used. Physical geometry of the cartridge together with the popular marriage to small actions make for interesting feeding problems.

Newton

Quote from: big5ifty on Jul 09, 2024, 08:40 AMGreat project, well done.

On a side note, the belt does not complicate the reloading process at all for me, I just ignore it. Size the fired case to fit the chamber as if there was no belt.

The short, fat cartridges do present a new set of challenges when reliable magazine feeding comes into play, especially when long for caliber, heavy bullets are used. Physical geometry of the cartridge together with the popular marriage to small actions make for interesting feeding problems.
No sweat - a leade to the bullets I need would be appreciated

People have problems when the chamber is not cut correctly
IF head-spaced on the belt then the case can stretch to fit the shoulder to the "gap" in the chamber leading to case separation.
Nearly all of the "range-pickup" cases I have are swollen just ahead of the belt
IF head-spaced on the belt what use is the shoulder ?

"MAGNUM" marketing overcame all difficulties - and belted obsolescence

Short fat cartridges and feeding problems .. see it all the time on the YouTube channels