They say the .50 BMG is not a good ELR gun ...

Started by big5ifty, Feb 01, 2024, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

Quote from: oafpatroll on Feb 14, 2024, 07:49 AMlots of money
I have arranged group buys where I've bought 25 cases of shotgun ammunition without issue and immediately after Putin invaded Ukraine I spent close to 20k on primers without anyone batting an eyelid. What am I missing?
Most fascinating
I had no idea you could walk into a gun-shop and order such a large quantity of primers - or other related ammunition type stuff ?
As I understand propellant is another story
and
THERE is the catch
What is the legal penalty for having "too much" powder ?
Contravention of the Explosives Act
Cannot see any exemption as firearm propellant is not like - blasting explosives ( dynamite / nitro-glycerine / ANFO etc etc )

Treeman

Quote from: Newton on Feb 16, 2024, 10:40 AMCannot see any exemption as firearm propellant is not like - blasting explosives ( dynamite / nitro-glycerine / ANFO etc etc )
very much like blasting explosives ( dynamite / nitro-glycerine / ANFO, if used correctly. Over the shelf proppellant is one of the go to's used by the ATM blasting guys, black powder as well.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Feb 16, 2024, 11:49 AM
Quote from: Newton on Feb 16, 2024, 10:40 AMCannot see any exemption as firearm propellant is not like - blasting explosives ( dynamite / nitro-glycerine / ANFO etc etc )
very much like blasting explosives ( dynamite / nitro-glycerine / ANFO, if used correctly. Over the shelf proppellant is one of the go to's used by the ATM blasting guys, black powder as well.

Are you saying the atm crackers are using nitro small arms propellant to open ATMs? That sounds like a lot of work to go to considering how easy mining explosives are to get hold of.

Administrator

Around 10 years ago, I spoke to a SAPS member who was involved in ballistic testing for handed in firearms.

At the time, he was of the opinion that due to the layoffs going on in the mines, it was only a matter of time before there was an uptick in crimes committed with explosives.

A lot of out of job miners know how to rig explosives, and there are a lot of explosives lying around in unsecured locations.

oafpatroll

Indeed. There's an entire industry of illegal mining that runs on the stuff.