Fluid Film alternative

Started by janfred, Feb 08, 2024, 11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

janfred

For those that think Fluid Film is the best rust protection since the invention of stainless steel. Got this from a hobby machinist site.

Fluid film
The original formula is (by volume) 3 parts Lanolin, 3 parts Mineral oil and 7 partsďz Mineral Spirits [paint thinner]
The formula was available on the MSDS before the current owners bought FF.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Feb 08, 2024, 11:14 AMFor those that think Fluid Film is the best rust protection since the invention of stainless steel. Got this from a hobby machinist site.

Fluid film
The original formula is (by volume) 3 parts Lanolin, 3 parts Mineral oil and 7 partsďz Mineral Spirits [paint thinner]
The formula was available on the MSDS before the current owners bought FF.
Thats the mix that I use, using ATF though, I think I posted it on Gun Site, You can make it work as an penetrating oil by upping the thinners.
I also use the thinner version for oiling weapons pins and slide surfaces without dissembling
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

DaavG

Quote from: Treeman on Feb 08, 2024, 09:12 PMThats the mix that I use, using ATF though, I think I posted it on Gun Site, You can make it work as an penetrating oil by upping the thinners.
I also use the thinner version for oiling weapons pins and slide surfaces without dissembling

Replacing mineral oil with ATF in same proportions?

Do either of you use fluid film on your firearms?

oafpatroll

Quote from: DaavG on Feb 09, 2024, 07:45 AM
Quote from: Treeman on Feb 08, 2024, 09:12 PMThats the mix that I use, using ATF though, I think I posted it on Gun Site, You can make it work as an penetrating oil by upping the thinners.

Eds red with a Safferised formula of equal parts ATF, Turps, Acetone and Paraffin can have lanolin oil added to make it more corrosion protective. That gives you an all in one which does a good job of cleaning, lubing and protecting

If you use ATF and Parffin in equal parts you you get a lekker oil which you can also add a bit of lanolin to and then it protects too. 

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Feb 09, 2024, 08:23 AM
Quote from: DaavG on Feb 09, 2024, 07:45 AM

Eds red with a Safferised formula of equal parts ATF, Turps, Acetone and Paraffin can have lanolin oil added to make it more corrosion protective. That gives you an all in one which does a good job of cleaning, lubing and protecting

If you use ATF and Parffin in equal parts you you get a lekker oil which you can also add a bit of lanolin to and then it protects too. 
Yes, playing around in that parent group opens many applications.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.