Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneWessels

480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

Don't use your 'intuition'.

If i was allowed two, the second one would be, 'Don't load anything based on data you obtain from anywhere other than a major propellant or projectile manufacturer until you have been loading for that calibre for a good few years.   

Ds J

"You are basically starting with explosives, the: Get help! There are many friendly, helpful folks who would be glad ro show you the ropes."   

oafpatroll

Quote from: oafpatroll on Feb 23, 2024, 10:23 AMDon't use your 'intuition'.

If i was allowed two, the second one would be, 'Don't load anything based on data you obtain from anywhere other than a major propellant manufacturer, projectile manufacturer or a knowledgeable and experienced reloader who you'd trust to be alone on a desert island with your wife until you have been loading for that calibre for a good few years.   

I think I should moderate #2

1. Get a good reloading manual (or 2) and read it.  This explains all the basics and terminology, and enables you to ask for and understand advice. The manual from the same guys who made your dies is a good choice, as it explains the proper procedures and settings for your tools.  ABC of reloading is one of the best and available from Takealot. Some of the older manuals are available for free in PDF format.

2. Get a knowledgeable friend to mentor you at the start. Even the experts ask questions and learn from others.

Treeman

Read a lot, ask a lot, check answers every time.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Second piece of advice would be to get, beg or borrow a chronograph. Without it, one is lost and doesn't even know it.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Feb 25, 2024, 06:58 PMSecond piece of advice would be to get, beg or borrow a chronograph. Without it, one is lost and doesn't even know it.
although I agree with statement and do also dish it out, I wonder.
We loaded right out the yearish 2000, perhaps even later with chroni's being things we wished we had but made do without.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Feb 25, 2024, 07:26 PM
Quote from: Ds J on Feb 25, 2024, 06:58 PMSecond piece of advice would be to get, beg or borrow a chronograph. Without it, one is lost and doesn't even know it.
although I agree with statement and do also dish it out, I wonder.
We loaded right out the yearish 2000, perhaps even later with chroni's being things we wished we had but made do without.

Correct, we made do without but we didn't know what chances we were taking.

My 222 has a very tight chamber, and I was probably constantly shooting over-pressured loads with it.

DuaneWessels

Research.
Get a reloading manual and read it.
Buy a proper reloading scale...that one at the China shop is not the one you want.
Know the difference between gr and g.
Follow the powder manufacturer's published load data.
Start at Min and work up. Do not just jump to the middle of max load.
Start saving for a chrony.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

Measure and record everything. You don't know if you don't measure and you sure as hell won't remember if you don't record.

Don't load from memory even if you are 105% sure that you remember correctly. Set up for every loading session by starting with a review of your data.

A messy loading area is an error prone loading area. Keep it clean and free of stuff that you aren't using in the current session.

janfred

RTFM

Or as an engineer I know used to say; "Read the comic".

JamesNotBond

South Africans do not like being told how to or what to do, it is a problem.

oafpatroll

Quote from: JamesNotBond on Feb 29, 2024, 09:11 PMSouth Africans do not like being told how to or what to do, it is a problem.

. . . . which is one of the reasons we have such impressive road accident fatality numbers. Anyone who doesn't listen a great deal more than they speak when they start out loading isn't welcome in the lane next to mine at the range.

NoStepOnSnek88

Quote from: oafpatroll on Feb 24, 2024, 07:30 AM
Quote from: oafpatroll on Feb 23, 2024, 10:23 AMor a knowledgeable and experienced reloader who you'd trust to be alone on a desert island with your wife until you have been loading for that calibre for a good few years. 

;D

Wilssssooooonnnnnnnn!
a true Hoplophile, this is the way.
How To Fight Gun Control South Africa 🇿🇦
Telegram Main Group Link: https://t.me/+qzLqIPl_FEg1ZDA0