Next bullet material?

Started by Ds J, Mar 20, 2024, 08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Treeman on Apr 03, 2024, 02:03 PMA bit embarrassed about my Titanium

Not at all. I have made that mistake myself. Some of the greatest inventions come from mistakes. From titanium you can make extra high velocity, light for caliber high BC bullets with incredible weight retention properties ;D

Maybe so that snipers can bend them around obstacles in high wind conditions ;D

Tripodmvr

oafpatroll

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Apr 05, 2024, 07:33 AMLook from 17m25s

https://youtu.be/TmHm8KFs6cI

Very interesting. My spidey sense says it's going to be fiercely priced.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Apr 06, 2024, 10:23 AMDUP in 308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtdmsZ4Csn8

Depleted Uranium, great idea!!! Instead of using a tracking dog to find you wounded Kudu, you can just use a Geiger counter ;D

Treeman

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Apr 07, 2024, 06:37 PM
Quote from: Tripodmvr on Apr 06, 2024, 10:23 AMDUP in 308

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtdmsZ4Csn8

Depleted Uranium, great idea!!! Instead of using a tracking dog to find you wounded Kudu, you can just use a Geiger counter ;D
. Whats that expression? "come on over to the dark side, we have cookies"
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Apr 04, 2024, 10:21 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Apr 03, 2024, 02:03 PMA bit embarrassed about my Titanium

Not at all. I have made that mistake myself. Some of the greatest inventions come from mistakes. From titanium you can make extra high velocity, light for caliber high BC bullets with incredible weight retention properties ;D

Maybe so that snipers can bend them around obstacles in high wind conditions ;D

The way I know the movie industry, The movie would have hero that shoots Titanium because its lighter and therefore faster and therefore able to shoot twice as far as anyone who is not the hero. It is likely that he will turn the bullets on a lathe himself, and use a lots of measurements on a Vernier caliper. If custom to Hollywood, he will likely grind some dynamite sticks up as the propellent.
The bullet would then penetrate 2 walls, a microwave and then on impact lift bad guy of his feet and put him through a further 2 walls. 
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

yOU HAVE WATCHED TOO MANY MOVIES

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Apr 08, 2024, 02:18 PMyOU HAVE WATCHED TOO MANY MOVIES
I stopped watching TV a perhaps 30 years ago, 1997 till November a year ago I had watched the Matrix series only in some  13 years. When we flew to Aus some time back I watched movies on the 16 hr legs of the flight - same brain dead shit. I think the Matrix  was the last "think about it" movie ever made.
I see bits of movies through wife or visiting friends ? kak kak and kakker ! John Wick shit. 
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

What about nickel, or even nickel silver - could that work?

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Apr 20, 2024, 06:07 PMWhat about nickel, or even nickel silver - could that work?

How ????
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Found on a Google search.

The cupro-nickle fouling on rifle bores in the early 1900s presented problems that utimately lead to the introduction of the copper jacketed bullets. Cu-Ni jacket fouling of bores were nearly impossible to clear without the use of extremely "toxic" chemicals to remove. In modern times the Swiss produced .223 ammo for use in their military firearms that used Cu-Ni jacketed bullets. They surplused that ammo ( I purchased several thousand rounds) in the late 90's because of the very same "issues" prior generations of shooters experianced....Cu-Ni fouled bores that were/are nearly impossible to clear beacuase their use formed "lumpy" deposits in the rifle bores. I "damaged" a Kreiger S/S barrel in my match AR by using this very pretty looking ammo. The Swiss used this type of jacket on their very popular GP11 ammo used in the K31 rifle which, as we American shooters are finding to be a very accurate combination. BUT...if you examine this ammo you will find that it features a wax ring at the neck/bullet junction. The wax is not acting as a sealent but rather...as found out the hard way by past generation shooters. ... aids in reducing the Cu-Ni fouling of the jacket to the bore.

IMHO before you use these very pretty looking bullets I would seach the 'net for a history lesson about Cu-Ni jacketed bullets and the "issues" they caused.

They are a very pretty bullet.

Treeman

I dont do pretty unless it smells nice as well ;D  ;D  ;D
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Newton

3D printed bullets using any material you want
3D printing has come a long way and is still being improved
One could possibly make multi material bullets - exotic materials with a jacket just thick enough for engraving.
or
Just do what artillery shells do - have driving bands - what solid copper bullets have