Lee Precision Stepped Expanders.

Started by DuaneWessels, Apr 05, 2024, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneWessels

Lee has been rethinking their pistol expanders. They have been working on introducing a step in the expander. Almost like the Lyman "M" style dies.

For those not familiar with "M" style expander, it is used to add step to the case before the flare, this allows the bullet to seat square inside the case mouth. This prevents bullet tilting during seating. It also helps prevent bullet tipping during shell plate indexing when an inline bullet feeder die is used.
Another bonus would be that you would be able to seat coated bullets much easier.
You will also be able to flare less, which will aid case life and avoid any issues with bullet seating.

This new expander will be a standard feature on all future Lee Powder Trough Expander Die's.
Lee has not announced this yet but some of these expanders have made their way into user hands in the States.

The expanders will be available as a standalone item in the future
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

That sounds like a good thing. I look forward to trying them out.

DuaneWessels

I know Lee has been working on this for a while but did not expect to find them in Die Sets here already.
The last Lee shipment was in November last year.
I did a setup on a Six Pack Pro for a customer and noticed a mark in a flared case. Took the expander out and found this.

41422c2f-a57a-4c35-b9e3-b93c695b8a19.jpg
b64cc164-a70e-457b-aaff-ece4a349f660.jpg
f70ab6c0-0d8a-4990-aef8-7abeb67d4d23.jpg
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

oafpatroll

That looks fantastic. Should make bullet placement much more positive. Please let us know when you get them in as loose items.