First reload test

Started by ARK, Jun 05, 2022, 04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oafpatroll

Quote from: jager on Jun 07, 2022, 12:38 PMNah, they were all still slow and well within pressure limits.  Ranged from just over 800fps to just over 1000fps.  all with the same powder charge.

That's way too much of a range to be blase about IMO but then one of my shooting buddies calls me the Miss Daisy of reloading.

jager

Warnings noted. Luckily no need to repeat my load development, I've got my load that works well, and I'm sticking to it.

I'll leave it here then.  Careful at the lowest end in the reloading manuals,  variance can be large.

DuaneWessels

Quote from: ARK on Jun 05, 2022, 04:44 PMHi all

As you guys know I'm brand new at reloading and completed my first 30 rounds

I'm use Frontier 147gr heads
Fiocchi primers
And CFE pistol powder

Load data says OAL should be 28.5mm with 3.9 gr of powder

I went to test them today and unfortunately cases didn't eject... And in some. Instances rounds didn't cycle

I then tested my friends reloads with  OAL of 27 mm and they cycled perfectly and so does factory ammo

The AOL was at 29mm, of my reloads that didn't work so well... So should i reduce my AOL to 28.5 or 28 mm or is it not enough powder and should I do 4.1 or 4.3 grains of powder

My pistol is a Glock 17 Gen 4

Did the rounds that did not cycle fire?
How did the cases look after firing? Any black marks on the case? If so your load is too low. Your load is not generating enough pressure to seal the chamber and is allowing gases to blow back over the case.

If your COL is off it will more likely lead to feeding problems instead of ejection issues.
Ejection problems is usually caused by light loads and an unstable shooting platform...like limp wristing.

Remember that we start out load development at the low end of the recommendation and work our way up from there. This is for safety.

The recommended data I found is start at 3.7gr and max at 4.2gr. You should increase your current load following safe reloading practices. 

If 3.9gr does not cycle the gun reliably, you then load 10 rounds at 4.0gr, 10 rounds at 4.1gr, 10 rounds at 4.2gr. Keep your COL at 28.5mm for now, if it fits in the mag and plunks in the gun it's good to go.

Go to the range and set a target up at 5m. Load the 4.0gr in  mag, shoot 5 freestyle, shoot 2 strong hand, 2 weak hand, last 1 freestyle to ensure the empty mag locks the slide back. See if they group well and inspect the cases for burn marks.

If 4.0 gr does not cycle, continue to the next load.

Do not exceed the max of 4.2 without the use of a chrony.
480BC Supplies
078 459 2188
duane@480bc.co.za
www.480BC.co.za

ARK

Thank you so much Duane, the bullets did fire but were not properly ejecting. The Shells did come out looking a little blacker than I'm used to seeing with factory rounds. I loaded 10 at 4.0gr and 20 at 4.1 but didn't get a chance to fire them just yet, will keep everyone posted once I test. The plunk test on all passed

NoStepOnSnek88

@ARK,

Greetings, hope this information can assist you in someway.

I'm also new to reloading, in short this was my experience.

BULLETS: Silver Rapids GOSA BLUE 147gn (Bonded Polymer Jacket) 9mmP.
PRIMERS: GINEX
PROPELLANT: VECTAN BA 9.5
BRASS: MIXED
RELOADING SETUP: DILLON SDB

In short I did reloads for my CZ 75 SP-01 SHADOW and GLOCK 19X.

The issues you are explaining is the issue I had with my CZ, but that was occasionally not frequent. So the feedback I got from Silver Rapids was to drop my COL to 28.20mm or get it as close to 28.20mm as possible, at the time my COL was averaging around 28.60mm.

It did solve the issue for me, about 300 through CZ without any issues and about 600 through GLOCK without any issues.
a true Hoplophile, this is the way.
How To Fight Gun Control South Africa 🇿🇦
Telegram Main Group Link: https://t.me/+qzLqIPl_FEg1ZDA0

ARK

Quote from: NoStepOnSnek88 on Jun 12, 2022, 07:50 PM@ARK,

Greetings, hope this information can assist you in someway.

I'm also new to reloading, in short this was my experience.

BULLETS: Silver Rapids GOSA BLUE 147gn (Bonded Polymer Jacket) 9mmP.
PRIMERS: GINEX
PROPELLANT: VECTAN BA 9.5
BRASS: MIXED
RELOADING SETUP: DILLON SDB

In short I did reloads for my CZ 75 SP-01 SHADOW and GLOCK 19X.

The issues you are explaining is the issue I had with my CZ, but that was occasionally not frequent. So the feedback I got from Silver Rapids was to drop my COL to 28.20mm or get it as close to 28.20mm as possible, at the time my COL was averaging around 28.60mm.

It did solve the issue for me, about 300 through CZ without any issues and about 600 through GLOCK without any issues.

Thank you very much, as part of my next set of test rounds I have a few that I changed the OAL to 28.0mm but will only get to test them next weekend

ARK

So just wanted to update all, I finally got it loading at 4.2 gr

It was the short charge causing the issue a friend and I tested on a chrony and given I dnt know much his dad that's reloading for a while tested and confirmed we got 915 to 925 on the 50 rounds we tested

Just goes to show that experienced people are the best source of knowledge when reloading

Treeman

Quote from: ARK on Jun 21, 2022, 08:59 PMSo just wanted to update all, I finally got it loading at 4.2 gr

It was the short charge causing the issue a friend and I tested on a chrony and given I dnt know much his dad that's reloading for a while tested and confirmed we got 915 to 925 on the 50 rounds we tested

Just goes to show that experienced people are the best source of knowledge when reloading
You rich guys, 50 round tests ?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Good result. You are now on your way. Enjoy the ride!

ARK

Damn this is addictive stuff, I just get a thrill of seeing my rounds pile up even though I'm not getting a chance to shoot yet, I do however anticipate a mess up in the coming months and days so want to get a collet bullet puller that I read about, can I pick your brain again kinetic or collet puller will be better?

Treeman

collet works so cleanly, you pull it and decant powder. Kinetic is so easy, just fit and moer it. Kinetic hammers will break and tips get bent, then powder is also messed and contaminated- none of these issues with a collet puller, only more work.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: ARK on Jun 25, 2022, 10:48 PMDamn this is addictive stuff, I just get a thrill of seeing my rounds pile up even though I'm not getting a chance to shoot yet, I do however anticipate a mess up in the coming months and days so want to get a collet bullet puller that I read about, can I pick your brain again kinetic or collet puller will be better?
wait till you start thinking "Natal riots - Zombie Uprising" then its like 2000 rounds stock and 2000 for practice, and 200 for load development tryouts.
Later you will have a range ammo stockpile and a precision loaded stockpile, you will realise you need stock of 90gr for blowing up zombie heads, 127 for economy shooting + some 147 gr for EDC. Plus you need some mono's just to be environmentally compliant.
Then you need some range ammo just to be able to reload more - then you start studying web sites and forums and realise you need to try "this" and "that" . Credit card time is prevalent.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Jun 26, 2022, 12:04 AMcollet works so cleanly, you pull it and decant powder. Kinetic is so easy, just fit and moer it. Kinetic hammers will break and tips get bent, then powder is also messed and contaminated- none of these issues with a collet puller, only more work.

I glued a tightly fitting plug of closed cell foam to the bottom of my hammer. That saves the bullet tips and keep doesn't catch powder. Bit of wire screen pressed into the top of a funnel means i can just tip out the contents straight into the powder bottle. Had to do 150 rifle rounds once and a using a collet would have crushed my spirits.   

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Jun 26, 2022, 09:51 AM
Quote from: Treeman on Jun 26, 2022, 12:04 AMcollet works so cleanly, you pull it and decant powder. Kinetic is so easy, just fit and moer it. Kinetic hammers will break and tips get bent, then powder is also messed and contaminated- none of these issues with a collet puller, only more work.

I glued a tightly fitting plug of closed cell foam to the bottom of my hammer. That saves the bullet tips and keep doesn't catch powder. Bit of wire screen pressed into the top of a funnel means i can just tip out the contents straight into the powder bottle. Had to do 150 rifle rounds once and a using a collet would have crushed my spirits.   
Once the collet is set up and you have done 30 or so, it is just so close to as easy as fast. I now after a few hundred collet pulled cases, will only use the hammer if its 2 maybe 3 pulls - other wise the collet is faster. Test it some time.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

i sincerely hope I don't get the opportunity to try your recommendation but will bear it in mind ;) 

Had about 200  x .270 Win loaded up when it became evident that I was shooting really badly. It later became clear I was only shooting badly with the .270. 
I had shot out 7 mm of the throat.
After having the barrel rechambered I sat with the above 200 odd not quite correct for chamber  cartridges that needed pulling. It really is faster than the hammer after the first few.