Carrying a rifle with Bipod comfortably?

Started by Againstthegrains, May 13, 2024, 08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Againstthegrains

I hunt a lot in those situations, where most of the time a bipod is what is needed. But there are occasions where I like to take my rifle for a walk. It is at these times, that I find the bipod doesn't carry very comfortably (digs into my back /shoulder). I have a standard Howa stock with a short Harris bipod and sling attached to it.

I was wondering if someone has worked out a more comfortable way of carrying a rifle with bipod over ones shoulder?

Treeman

Quote from: Againstthegrains on May 13, 2024, 08:10 PMI hunt a lot in those situations, where most of the time a bipod is what is needed. But there are occasions where I like to take my rifle for a walk. It is at these times, that I find the bipod doesn't carry very comfortably (digs into my back /shoulder). I have a standard Howa stock with a short Harris bipod and sling attached to it.

I was wondering if someone has worked out a more comfortable way of carrying a rifle with bipod over ones shoulder?
And Cody carries his bipods mounted from day one with his rifle, only way for him. Ya know, from the day cody saw a bipod he liked it and liked the idea, its obviously worth every quibble to him, he prefers his bipod over and above anything. So much so, that when we bakkie shoot of x-bags he still uses bipods over roof.

As to your question, I can only suggest trying different sling strap settings.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

I was thinking along the lines of bipods that are more ergonomic/less sharp edges to carry compared to the Harris 6-9" or equivalent.

Alternatively, getting a bipod with a quick release system, or something that slips to the side?

oafpatroll

Something that integrates into the fore end like a Steyr Scout would be quite a trick. I'm sure there'd be a way to do it if it hasn't already been done.

Ds J

The R4 rifles had a built-in bipod.  I am pretty sure that it should be possible with a hunting rifle too. A fold-over type like the Steyr Scout should work well.

Also look at a quick-detachable bi-pod type. 
The Harris screw was not designed for quick mounting and dismounting.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: 223 on May 16, 2024, 08:37 PMAlso look at a quick-detachable bi-pod type. 

Do you have examples of the quick detach type that are sold locally.

The shops in my area of the woods don't have a lot of choice available.

Newton

Quote from: Againstthegrains on May 21, 2024, 12:48 PM
Quote from: 223 on May 16, 2024, 08:37 PMAlso look at a quick-detachable bi-pod type. 

I always thought that that was the role of - arca / picatiny rails ?
Have a rail affixed to your rifle stock fore-end then just use the correct quick release mountings

Tripodmvr

I would have thought that the new hunting sticks/tripods would make the bipods redundant when hunting?

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on May 22, 2024, 08:12 PMI would have thought that the new hunting sticks/tripods would make the bipods redundant when hunting?
precisely!
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Tripodmvr on May 22, 2024, 08:12 PMI would have thought that the new hunting sticks/tripods would make the bipods redundant when hunting?

Not a chance, where I hunt and the way I hunt.

Most of what we do is the voorsit type of hunting, where you lie flat on the ground (hiding behind a bush with a tripod is not a very effective way to hide). There a bipod is the only way to do it.

Also the effective accurate range is quite different. Off sticks, I might shoot out to a max of 250m, but a bipod gives that same stability you can get at the range. Shoot out to 400m if you are in a position to work out the bullet drop and range. Also, off a bipod, headshots up to 150m are quite doable. I'm not confident enough to take them off sticks.

Treeman

Have to agree to the above, but then again I do not shoot 400 m shots unless I am specifically going out on a preplanned long range shoot. I have to date not done this preplanned shoot  ;D  - Would like to one day do a 4-500 m shot in a hunt, but I usually tap out at 220 ish.
Then the hunt starts, a stalk.
Therefore I am me.

Quote from: Againstthegrains on May 21, 2024, 12:48 PM

How about this one?
https://www.takealot.com/hunting-rifle-bipod/PLID69412527

Againstthegrains

Wow, those are cheap. :o  Hard to imagine they will have the durability and functionality of a Harris or UTG?

Quote from: Againstthegrains on Jun 11, 2024, 06:06 PMWow, those are cheap. :o  Hard to imagine they will have the durability and functionality of a Harris or UTG?

I bought 2 of them about 2 years ago.  Both do duty on competition rifles and have seen some use.

My son now bought another one, as he prefers this type over the Harris that he borrowed from me.

These bipods are basically pirate copies of the Atlas, which sells for 6-8k.  The swivel mechanism is not very smooth when adjusting for cant, but I added a thin steel washer between the 2 "ball and cup" parts and now it moves smoothly with the right amount of resistance.  No breakages yet.

Yes, I would rate them excellent value for the money.