.303 Epps dies

Started by Treeman, Jun 16, 2024, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodmvr

See Giepie's advert at the bottom. His reply to my PM is also attached. You now have his phone number. Hope you manage to close the deal.

Ek het die stel geadverteer. Ek is tot einde Augustus in Maclear en die stel is in Centurion. Ongelukkig het ek nie iemand om dit van daar te versend nie.

"Ek het 'n stel CH4D dies vir 303Epps wat ek nog nooit gebruik het nie. Ek het besluit om die 303 Epps projek te wysig na 375H&H, dus laat ek hierdie stel gaan om die nuwe projek te financier. R1100 vir die stel. Ek is in Centurion. 08244ses46sewe8"

Tripodmvr

On reloading for Epps or AI. My 243 ammo that I loaded initially shot accurately in the converted 243AI chamber. I would develop a load whilst fireforming because with the fireformed cases you might only have to adjust 0,5gr either way. Doing it that way you are not just wasting components.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Jun 19, 2024, 02:27 PMBecause the neck is untouched in the conversion, there is no reason that the process of fireforming the cases will negatively affect the accuracy.

The muzzle velocity will be less because  quite a bit of energy is used to stretch the brass. Wouldn't use them for hunting at extended range, but they should work OK for paper punching.
In short they pretty useless then, you not going to use your hunting bullets for paper punching, they not gonna shoot same place, so might as well just not worry about aiming and just blow them out using mixed ammo mixed loose end bits and bobs bullets. Got some old corrosive mil sup stuff I will pull and use the bullets.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

A cheat sheet on your rifle with up 10 and left 6 clicks from a zeroed scope for hunting will make it easy to switch from target to hunting. Modern scopes track very well, so use that feature.

Treeman

was supposed to get rifle yesterday  :-X
I got a lot of old and scrap bullets, + a few hundred lead bullets to use for fire forming cases, the primers are more of a concern these days. Luckily for me I have a shit load of primers removed from unknown ammo, cases of dubious condition or my own loads that I decapped live for some reason.
I am battling to find a die set, holding out on Oom Drie being the hero of 2024
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

I gave you the contact number. Have you not spoken to Giepie?

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jun 21, 2024, 12:56 PMI gave you the contact number. Have you not spoken to Giepie?
dunno how I missed that.
Sorry will message now.

dunno how, got this all mixed up k
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Thank You Oom Drie, you simply the best.
Sorted, I do not know how I missed the cell number from you, must have been a post that was opened something happened walked away, had a power out and then it was lost to notified but not read, all I can think of.
One does not slip up on things like this - really nearly cost me dearly.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Dies are paid for, posted by now.
Dunno how to say thank you to Tripodmvr, a really big battle fixed.
I even had guys in Austrslia looking out for me, seems these dies are super scarce
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jun 30, 2024, 10:07 AMGlad I could help.
Aus and NZ both have, but 120 to 470 Dollar  :o
This CH4D type is New Zealand made I think.
Strange how some dies have no resale value because no one uses them, and are also scarcer than unicorns for same reason.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

If you are willing to go the custom die route, just get a Wilson die blank and take it to your friendly gunsmith that has a .303Epps reamer. Not cheap, but much cheaper than importing CH4D dies

Tripodmvr

CH4D dies.
Made in Mount Vernon, Ohio

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jun 30, 2024, 07:01 PMCH4D dies.
Made in Mount Vernon, Ohio
Yeaaaa ! They also are the Aus -NZ available die. Seems the Canadians are also big .303 and Epps fans.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Any feedback on the rifle?