Shot:kill ratio?

Started by Ds J, Jun 21, 2024, 10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

How many shots for how many kills?
On average? Yours worst? Your best?

I have had one of those nasty  days: it took me five shots to kill two kudus. Three shots were complete misses, the others were clean head shots. 

oafpatroll

I've smoked that Ds J.

On a recent Freestate walkup shoot I fired 11 rounds in a day and only hit a single guineafowl which flew off disdainfully.

Ds J

Quote from: oafpatroll on Jun 21, 2024, 10:51 PMI've smoked that Ds J.

On a recent Freestate walkup shoot I fired 11 rounds in a day and only hit a single guineafowl which flew off disdainfully.

Isn't one supposed to, or rather: isn't it allowed to miss from time to time with a shotgun?

oafpatroll

Quote from: Ds J on Jun 22, 2024, 08:02 AM
Quote from: oafpatroll on Jun 21, 2024, 10:51 PMI've smoked that Ds J.

Isn't one supposed to, or rather: isn't it allowed to miss from time to time with a shotgun?

Haha, I hope so as I then surely qualify as a shotgunner. The pigeons and guineas agree BTW.

Ds J

Any flying animal is fairly safe when I enter the ring with a shotgun ;) .

My expectations differ between rifle and shotgun. My rifle skills are good enough that I expect an animal to go down when I shoot, with a shotgun it is almost the opposite.

Missed shots occur, and wounding shots too. I prefer a complete miss to a wounded animal.