BASA Shoot - 13 April 2023

Started by big5ifty, Apr 13, 2024, 03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

This was today's shoot, and is typical of BASA shoots.

Usually around 20 rounds required, 375H&H and bigger.

Target distances from 10 to 20 meters today, sometimes there's longer shots out to 50 meters.

The hippo on stage 1 is a runner, it charges you when you close the bolt, you must hit a brain shot before it stops.

The vital are on these targets is the size of a tennis ball.

big5ifty

One stage is usually for the chrony, where your velocity is noted, and it is used with your bullet weight to verify that your loads are making the required power factor.

All relevant info is on the BigBore website :

http://bigboresa.org/basa-shoot-format-and-information/

Tripodmvr

I see that you are using colored stickers to close up the holes. Our local branch of SA Hunters use clear stickers, as the accumulation of the colored one's create an aiming point that helps shooter's that shoot later in the day.

big5ifty

It seems like there are colored stickers, but it's the light shining through clear tape of the holes. Some holes are .50 caliber size, a lot are .458 .

When there were too many holes, they would apply a new overlay sticker for the target area.

When I used to RO, I would color the clear tape with a black marker if the background was black.

Ds J

Which are the most popular calibres, and which are the most unusual ones?

Tripodmvr

Thanks for the correction. On the photos the "large" holes do appear as colored stickers. Properly ventilated would be a fitting remark.

big5ifty

Quote from: Ds J on Apr 14, 2024, 02:25 PMWhich are the most popular calibres, and which are the most unusual ones?

This is a snapshot of some competitor calibers and loads they shot on the day.

And not that many people reload for this shoot. A lot of shooters are using factory ammo.

Treeman

Quote from: big5ifty on Apr 14, 2024, 04:10 PM
Quote from: Ds J on Apr 14, 2024, 02:25 PMAnd not that many people reload for this shoot. A lot of shooters are using factory ammo.
Wonder if they just keep shooting brands till they find a accurate brand for their rifle?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

big5ifty

I don't think there is much choice of factory ammo in some of these calibers.

Tripodmvr

Quote from: Treeman on Apr 14, 2024, 07:43 PM
Quote from: big5ifty on Apr 14, 2024, 04:10 PM
Quote from: Ds J on Apr 14, 2024, 02:25 PMAnd not that many people reload for this shoot. A lot of shooters are using factory ammo.
Wonder if they just keep shooting brands till they find a accurate brand for their rifle?

This is not long range accuracy. Minute of buffalo will suffice.