dirty meat and shot placement

Started by Treeman, Jul 15, 2024, 10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

If it is due to the bullet, it should be controllable with other types of bullets.

Sierra makes their Gameking in 150gr and 160gr.

Question: can someone say what happens whit mono bullets?

Tripodmvr

You mostly have an in and out on monos. There is some bloodshot meat that could be on both sides, but the very snotty blood is not normally present and it washes off reasonably well. I have seen similar bloodshot meat as the carcass in the pictures. This was due to shooting with a mono 175 old Barnes X in my 7x64. The bullet was poorly stabilized and seems to have hit the kudu cow length wise.

Treeman

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Lead kills both ways. The hunted and the hunter.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 22, 2024, 04:45 PM
Quote from: Againstthegrains on Aug 22, 2024, 01:08 PMTo me that looks like the animal ran a lot before it passed out from blood loss. The running pulls blood into the damaged connective tissue.

There are 2 different processes that involve meat damage:

1) Damage to the tissue immediately around the path of the bullet hole characterized by dark red meat a few cm around the bullet hole. This is made worse the faster the bullet is traveling due to shock. This is worse with lead bullets that fragment and the lead particles spread through the muscle tissue. This also is bad when you strike bone, and the bone fragments have the same effect as lead fragments. The cause of the colour change is fragmentation of capillary network of the surrounding tissue, causing a blood infiltrate. Since the capillaries in the tissue are small, the extent of the blood flow is limited. Less pronounced with mono's unless you hit bone.

2) Tissue infiltrate, which is what I see in the picture, where the animal is bleeding from engine room damage (hint: major vessels) and there is a path open between the source of the blood and the network of connective tissue that is found in the facia between the muscle layers. As the animal runs away, the movement between the layers pulls the blood in, and is a b1tch to get rid of. When you cut through, the meat (muscle) is clean and free of the above (point 1). Can happen with both monos and cup and core and severity is associated with the time the animal takes to die and the amount the animal moves after being shot.
No ! - this is a lot of jello, spread far between muscles.

The red jello is clotted blood, mixed in with the spongy connective tissue. The blood spreads when it is in liquid form, and the animal is alive. By the time it is dead and you cut it up, it has clotted.

Maybe you should shoot the animals with a heparin injection, so that the blood will wash out easily ;D

Treeman

Shot more Impala yesterday, same thing. I was able to study the carcass more carefully and I really feel that the bullet is coming apart just before exiting.
I will now load up a harder bullet and test it.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Question: did the bullets hit bone, or not?

If so, on which side/s did it occur?

janfred

Well. Mine hit the scapula at entry and rib on exit.

I did not have a lot of bloodshot meat, but blood collected between the outer layer of meat and the rib layer of meat. To remove the blood, I had to cut the outer layer off. Now, what would have been a good rib turned into goulash.

From the amount of work required, head or neck shots on impala will be my future.

Entry in blue, blood jelly under green.
IMG_20240827_123022.jpg

Exit in blue, blood jelly under green
IMG_20240827_123153.jpg

Tripodmvr

A longstanding statement about the 270 was that a shot on the shoulder gave bloodshot meat from nose to tail.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Aug 27, 2024, 03:44 PMA longstanding statement about the 270 was that a shot on the shoulder gave bloodshot meat from nose to tail.
Seems the 7mm 08 is about the same
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

270 got that reputation because it was faster than 30 cal. Its not about the caliber or chambering, but the speed the bullet is going when it hits the animal.

Treeman

So where is the cut off speed for hyper meat damage ?

I have a feeling that one will find that reduction of meat damage will be directly proportional to speed of kill. No bang flop DRT without that hydrostatic wave happening. (obviously excluding CNS hits)
Therefore I am me.

janfred

I shot my impala with a .308 180gr bullet doing around 2000fps on impact. Yet stil had a lot of blood between the meat layers. Actual blood-shot meat was quite small areas around the entry and exit, but the blood jelly area was huge. Most of that meat went for goulash and trimmings.

My biggest reason to use 180gr bullets is the low impact velocity to reduce meat loss. Doesn't help if blood goes between the layers.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Aug 28, 2024, 11:42 PMI shot my impala with a .308 180gr bullet doing around 2000fps on impact. Yet stil had a lot of blood between the meat layers. Actual blood-shot meat was quite small areas around the entry and exit, but the blood jelly area was huge. Most of that meat went for goulash and trimmings.

My biggest reason to use 180gr bullets is the low impact velocity to reduce meat loss. Doesn't help if blood goes between the layers.
Bullet make and type?
Therefore I am me.