Hunt approaching fast

Started by janfred, Jul 16, 2024, 01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janfred

My last shot will probably always stay with me. As mentioned previously, if I cannot recognise a bad shot, then how do I know a shot is good? If I cannot differentiate between good and bad I should not be hunting. These thoughts have been going through my mind a lot.

On Wednesday I was outside, just started the fire for a braai. As I was going through the photos on my phone deleting unwanted ones, I came across a photo that I took of the scope turrets when I zeroed it.IMG_20240728_101253.jpg
Playing a hunch I checked the scope again.IMG_20240728_101518.jpg
Notice how you can see the "0" line on the second photo? Yes, windage was one full revolution out; i.e. 15 MOA. That equals roughly 15 inches at 100 yards.

When we were stalking the impala on hands and knees, the knob probably turned while I was dragging the rifle.

So, anyone know of a good low magnification scope with a fine reticle and center dot with covered or locked turrets that won't break the bank?

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Jul 28, 2024, 10:29 AMSo, anyone know of a good low magnification scope with a fine reticle and center dot with covered or locked turrets that won't break the bank?
There are plenty very usable hunting scopes at under 10 K - Lynx, Nikon, Vortex, Redfield and Burrus fall into this category - usually about 6-7 K second hand gets you a blerry decent working scope - forget all you know about "good" target scopes, you need a LandCruiser or Hilux, forget about the Range Rovers of scopes.
Both my and Cody scopes can be got new for about 8 k, my Lynx with my .270 load has not been set, changed in about 16 years, My Burrus in about 8 years and the better but old leopold is as old as the last new load which is 2012>

I think I set my scopes less often than I buy another rifle.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Mohamed

Quote from: janfred on Jul 28, 2024, 10:29 AMSo, anyone know of a good low magnification scope with a fine reticle and center dot with covered or locked turrets that won't break the bank?

Those that Treeman mentioned are good, on my 303 I have an old Burris that's still works well.

I know of people who have recently bought these Hawke Endurance 30 WA SF 4-16x50 Riflescope - LR Dot 8x Reticle and I bought a similar one with a different reticle though as my old scope which came with my rifle has been giving issues of late which I confirmed when I was hunting a few weeks back.

Tripodmvr

Good practical advice on hunting scopes. Just be careful as this man calls a spade a "graaf".

https://youtu.be/KSOIopJxqVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28s6Nz5fdi0

Newton

Interesting ..

Appears to be mostly US based ?

How many are [ easily ] available in SA ?
At what price ?

Newton

A South African selection ( new )

I list two well known retail outlets who show quite a range of scopes - available in SA

HABITAT Africa - Optics

SAFARI Outdoor - Optics

It would be nice to know - out of this selection - your choices ?
With reasons for your particular choice .. "bang for the buck" RAND
Mine is based pretty much on ... Budget :)  :'(