Safe Chamber Pressure - 303 Epps Improved

Started by Treeman, Jul 23, 2024, 11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Does anybody have any proper researched, published kind of info on 303 Epps pressures.Tested P14 pressures will help, but the 303 case my change things  bit, and then the Epps changes may change it all again.
I am certain 60 000 PSI will be safe,56-57 000 psi a good not to hard on weapon pressure, but would like some confirmation.
67 000 pops the primers out, I somehow know this.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

You can buy the book "Shooting & Reloading the 303 British and the 303 Epps" by Stephen Redgwell. It is around R440 on Amazon right now. +-R650 on Takealot.
Or you can try to email the author at steve@303british.com

The P14 action is pretty much the same as the P17 action also called the M1917 Enfield. Which were manufactured to shoot .30-06 rounds. .30-06 have a SAAMI max pressure of 60,000 psi.

The only practical difference between the P14 and P17 is the chambering and the bolt head. The limitation is usually the brass. As the Epps case has the same taper as a .30-06 case, I am quite confident that both actions can be used to the same pressure.

When loading to .30-06 pressure, just mark the ammo to not be used in a Lee Enfield action.

Treeman

You have the same conclusions I have. What would be a mild or last forever pressure in such an chamber ? I notice that the recoil at 50 ooo + is a lot more pronounced than at 40 000 odd +

I do not like recoil, it deducts from my enjoyment, would like to keep shots enjoyable.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Oom Koos Barnard het op 'n stadium 'n artikel in Magnum geskryf. Hy behoort te kan help.

Tripodmvr

If you want less recoil then try 42gr S321 with the 180gr bullet. Pressure calcs as 45K psi and 2450fps. You now have a Lee Enfield load.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jul 24, 2024, 04:46 PMIf you want less recoil then try 42gr S321 with the 180gr bullet. Pressure calcs as 45K psi and 2450fps. You now have a Lee Enfield load.
 >:(  how dare you !
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

I want 2650 fps, that's  my goal, but its not on an node it would appear.
                                      :-\
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

The P14 action has been used to build big bore magnums and did a good job. At least, that is what I read and heard. Hence, it should do well with the 303 Epps.

Secondly, the case volume of the 303 Epps is smaller than the 30-06. Another reason why it should do a great job.

Your other concern would be the brass - it can only take a certain amount if pressure. It does not help to get two or three shots from hard sourced brass.