Hunting scope

Started by janfred, Jul 29, 2024, 11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janfred

As some of you know by now, I had some scope trouble on my hunt and made me rethink a few things.
What I used was an Element Optics Helix 4-16x44 FFP with the MOA reticle. I really like this scope. Magnification range is almost ideal for any range a
308 gets used. The reticle is fine with MOA hash marks that actually agree with measurements. With FFP the subtentions remain the same throughout the zoom range. Tracking is precise and repeatable. The lens quality is also pretty good. What I also find very user friendly is the centre dot. The only two downsides I can think of is the weight and the fact that the windage turret is not covered and cannot be locked.

From practical experience I've realised that I do not need all the reticle hashmarks, but I do want the centre dot and a few aimpoints below. I do not need more than 9x magnification.
Reliable and repeatabke tracking is a must. And definitely either a closed or lockable windage turret.

If I am going to use the zoom function, first focal plane is a plus if I have to use the reticle markings as aim points.
OR
With a plain crosshair I have to be able to dial when shooting further than PBR.

And I want all that at an affordable price.

Tripodmvr

Look at this company. They stock other makes as well.

https://www.futurama.co.za/brands/hawke?p=2

oafpatroll

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jul 30, 2024, 03:38 PMLook at this company. They stock other makes as well.

https://www.futurama.co.za/brands/hawke?p=2

They have a poor service reputation. That's first hand from friends of mine as well as on a GS thread. I'd treat them with care.

Tripodmvr

Most of the complaints have been about advertising without stock available. Checking on availability of stock should be logical. My scope buying experience was without hassles.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jul 30, 2024, 05:27 PMMost of the complaints have been about advertising without stock available. Checking on availability of stock should be logical. My scope buying experience was without hassles.

The first hand reports from my friends were about battling to obtain refunds for products sold where stock was unavailable after the sales were finalised. Requiring your clients to verify your stock levels before you accept payment for an item you advertise is a bold business practise that isn't common to any trusted online platforms i can think of. I am not trying to bash a seller and would not mention this if it didn't come from first hand sources. Proceed with caution, scopes aren't cheap. 

Ds J

Ek gooi 'n wilde klip in die bos: wat van 'n Niko Stirling?

Hulle is redelik goedkoop, en werk baie goed tot hulle breek.

janfred

Die probleem is mens weet eers hulle is stukkend jy mis skiet.

Mohamed

Quote from: Ds J on Aug 15, 2024, 11:08 AMEk gooi 'n wilde klip in die bos: wat van 'n Niko Stirling?

Hulle is redelik goedkoop, en werk baie goed tot hulle breek.
Yes, mine worked well till it broke this year.It came with the rifle when I bought it.Was disappointed, couldn't get it to work properly. Collecting new scope this weekend.

Tripodmvr

Have a look at this video and what criteria he has used to make his judgement. Good glass, smaller dimensions and weight as well as lower magnification for hunting scopes is a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4BIE1FfDrE

DaavG

Quote from: oafpatroll on Jul 30, 2024, 07:11 PMThe first hand reports from my friends were about battling to obtain refunds for products sold where stock was unavailable after the sales were finalised. Requiring your clients to verify your stock levels before you accept payment for an item you advertise is a bold business practise that isn't common to any trusted online platforms i can think of. I am not trying to bash a seller and would not mention this if it didn't come from first hand sources. Proceed with caution, scopes aren't cheap. 

I have purchased once through them. Confirmed stock prior to purchasing and had a quote generated via a salesman-, then paid. No issues doing it that way and service was good. Went about it that way as had heard the nightmares using their online shop only but they had stock of recoil pads I wanted when no one else seemed to.

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Aug 16, 2024, 07:51 AM
Quote from: oafpatroll on Jul 30, 2024, 07:11 PMThe first hand reports from my friends were about battling to obtain refunds for products sold where stock was unavailable after the sales were finalised. Requiring your clients to verify your stock levels before you accept payment for an item you advertise is a bold business practise that isn't common to any trusted online platforms i can think of. I am not trying to bash a seller and would not mention this if it didn't come from first hand sources. Proceed with caution, scopes aren't cheap. 

I have purchased once through them. Confirmed stock prior to purchasing and had a quote generated via a salesman-, then paid. No issues doing it that way and service was good. Went about it that way as had heard the nightmares using their online shop only but they had stock of recoil pads I wanted when no one else seemed to.
The man is a absolute genius con artist. He supplies 8000 customers brilliantly every month and then chooses a good "knock" and just does not supply or respond, just stone walls that person. On Site here look for Roy, he just got taken for like R30K
The man works on a principle of X number of cons = 0.3% of total customer base, of which perhaps 10 % will actually make a fuss. So every year he cons a free R200 000 and piss's off 1 % off custermer base - he can go on fore ever and ever if he does not get greedy. He has been doing this for 15 years about.
Here is a warning post here and on GunSite
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Mohamed

I mostly use their site to compare and check products and pricing. Bought once from them if i remember correctly, haven't bought since. I find it easier to buy from somewhere where I know there is stock available. My scope I bought from people I know very well and who have given me excellent service. Could have had it delivered but taking a 2 hour drive tomorrow to collect and have everything fitted.

big5ifty

I've bought from Futurama a few times, I've always done the stock check enquiry first, and I've not had a problem.

The don't carry stock themselves, they are more of a broker - when they say they check for stock, it's with their suppliers.

That's why they ask you to verify first, in case the supplier doesn't have it.

To me, it's very sensible for a broker to operate that way. They are like Takealot, without the up to date stock availability.

Carrying stock is a risk, it ties up your cashflow, and is best avoided where possible.

I bought a Lynx LX3 and rings from them in 2020, that was the only big ticket item. At the time, I ordered the smaller SAH version, and after I got it I realised I bought the wrong one. I sent it back, they credited me, and I bought the bigger brother of it.

big5ifty

Your protection when you buy online is to pay with a credit card through the payment gateway.

If there is an issue, you have recource for a refund, both through the payment gateway and your bank. 

If you pay by EFT, there is no recourse.

Only pay by EFT if the supplier is known and trusted.

Never pay with EFT the first time buying from an online source.

The last purchase I made with Technopro was an EFT payment, I lost the money. If it was a credit card payment, it would take a couple weeks for the refund.