Hunting scope

Started by janfred, Jul 29, 2024, 11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janfred

I did replace my Element Optics scope with an Arken EPL 4-16x44. It worked just as well as the Helix scope with the advantage of a capped windage turret.

It is easy enough to dial for longer shots with nice and crisp clicks and a lekker fine reticle at 4x. An added advantage is an illuminated centre markings for shots on a dark background. The central part of the reticle looks clear for 1 MOA. It might seem counterproductive to aim with a open spot, but it is surprisingly easy. Basically you know the shot will land in that clear area. It also has the small dot that is only really usable over 8x magnification for the longer shot.

All in all, I think it is a neat little scope.

DaavG

Quote from: janfred on Aug 28, 2024, 08:42 AMArken EPL 4-16x44

What's the build quality like and how does it track? I've always just stuck to Leupolds, never branched out from them but need a scope for my 2.43 Win.

janfred

Quote from: DaavG on Aug 28, 2024, 08:59 AM

What's the build quality like and how does it track? I've always just stuck to Leupolds, never branched out from them but need a scope for my 2.43 Win.
Build quality seems fine. Everything feels rigid enough.

View is clear. I have not looked through top-tier scopes yet, but it is much clearer than the Hawke and Optisan scopes I used on my airrifles. And the picture is stil clear at max magnification.

Some might find the reticle a bit fine at 4x magnification.

Tracking seems fine. I did not do a "nipple twister" a la Cyclops, but POI moved as expected during zeroing. So far zero is zero; not noticed a drift. The one time the scope was used in anger the shot went exactly where aimed.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Aug 28, 2024, 11:05 AMThe one time the scope was used in anger the shot went exactly where aimed.
Why were you angry ?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Aug 28, 2024, 08:59 AM

Pricing ?
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

R8400 listed at shop below. Arken has a very good name in America.

https://engageoptics.co.za/

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Aug 28, 2024, 09:24 PMR8400 listed at shop below. Arken has a very good name in America.

https://engageoptics.co.za/
Lynx in South Africa  ;D
Therefore I am me.

janfred

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 28, 2024, 09:32 PM*************************
Lynx in South Africa  ;D

It is 2024. Why can we not have first focal plane scopes with etched reticles for hunting?

DaavG

Quote from: janfred on Aug 28, 2024, 11:05 AMBuild quality seems fine. Everything feels rigid enough.

View is clear. I have not looked through top-tier scopes yet, but it is much clearer than the Hawke and Optisan scopes I used on my airrifles. And the picture is stil clear at max magnification.

Some might find the reticle a bit fine at 4x magnification.

Tracking seems fine. I did not do a "nipple twister" a la Cyclops, but POI moved as expected during zeroing. So far zero is zero; not noticed a drift. The one time the scope was used in anger the shot went exactly where aimed.

Thank you. That scope seems well priced for its features. Might see if I have a look through one.

DaavG

Quote from: janfred on Aug 28, 2024, 11:26 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Aug 28, 2024, 09:32 PM*************************
Lynx in South Africa  ;D

It is 2024. Why can we not have first focal plane scopes with etched reticles for hunting?

You kids lost me? Please enlighten me

Treeman

[/quote]
We hunting mainly, shooting is different. I admit that when it comes down to the actual scope it might be a nicer scope, but when put to use, you want a uncomplicated scope that is not busy. No batteries and and suggested POA, just hunting.
I have also never found a hunting bullet load combination that agrees entirely with those reticules - perhaps thats because I aim for a specific point on a animal and not a "I should hit it on the side about middle if I use second etching"
Therefore I am me.

janfred

Basically etched reticles are more shock resistant than wire reticles. And you can etch more complex shapes like numbers, floating centre dot and  "Christmas trees". Wire reticles are cheap and have very slightly better light transmission. Best they can have are dots or short line holdover points on the croshairs themselves.

The below is copied from Vector Optics FAQ page.

Wire reticle

The wire reticle usually presents itself in a crosshair and is stretched and fixed in the sleeve to form the aiming point. It is the most common type of reticle in scopes due to the low manufacturing cost. The advantage of wire crosshairs is that they are durable, and provide no obstruction to light passing through the scope. However, the shock resistance of wire reticles is weaker than etched reticles, the wire crosshairs may get damaged from drop force, recoil or incorrect mounting. The metal wire material also makes it unable to form complex reticle patterns.

Etched reticle

The etched reticle is that the aiming line is directly engraved on the center lens, hence, the shock resistance and durability is better compared with wire reticles. The etched reticle can realize complex reticle patterns, such as Christmas tree style reticles, reticle lines can be made thinner than wire reticles, depends on different manufacturers, which also means that it can be more accurate than wire reticle. However, the etched reticle usually has a higher manufacture cost as it involves a series of process like coating, etc. Besides, it is easy to accumulate dust and fog during assembly, affecting the light transmission rate.

Fiber reticle

The fiber reticle uses a very thin fiber optic light pipe pasted behind the wire for illumination purposes. With the fiber reticle, it can ensure the illuminated dot can be seen and used under the strongest sunlight. Meanwhile, when shooting at low magnification like 1x, you can use two eyes open and acquire your targets rapidly with the bright center dot (similar as the red dot sight shooting). It also inherits the advantages and disadvantages of wire reticles. However, the manufacturing cost of the fiber reticle is higher, and like wire reticles, it cannot achieve complex reticle patterns and the shock resistance capability is weaker.

Treeman

Now this !

Fiber reticle

The fiber reticle uses a very thin fiber optic light pipe pasted behind the wire for illumination purposes. With the fiber reticle, it can ensure the illuminated dot can be seen and used under the strongest sunlight. Meanwhile, when shooting at low magnification like 1x, you can use two eyes open and acquire your targets rapidly with the bright center dot (similar as the red dot sight shooting). It also inherits the advantages and disadvantages of wire reticles. However, the manufacturing cost of the fiber reticle is higher, and like wire reticles, it cannot achieve complex reticle patterns and the shock resistance capability is weaker.

THIS I CAN GO FOR.
Therefore I am me.