what two way radio to buy.

Started by Treeman, Jul 30, 2024, 04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Please tell me what 2 way radio you use, and which one not to buy. I have had a few and not one ever really worked worth a R1000

I want one that actually works over farm distances.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Asking around for advice from "experts"

Treeman

Guys like me that have bought and regretted  :D
Guys like me that have bought and loved  :D
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

Zartek 758 is what I have, 2 are perhaps 10 years old and the other 6 are second hand ones that I have had for 4 years.
I could ask for better, but I believe that even a bit better will be a whole next level cost wise.

janfred

I am quite partial to Motorola. We use them on the ships I work on. They last years with heavy use. Decades with gentle use. More than 8km range line of site.

Just for clarity; most handhelds will struggle to transmit from the valley where the warthog was shot back to camp. There is no line of sight and radio waves do not travel well through rock.

oafpatroll

Mate of mines son heads up anti-poaching for a very big private reserve network and they use Motorola handhelds exclusively. They run, drive and fly about while being shot at so if I had budget and wanted a radio for use while falling down outdoors I'd follow their lead. He told me that when he started out in his early 20's on his own coin he bought a couple of second hand units on ebay and re-batteried them. That may be an option for getting a bit of a discount.

Treeman

https://www.takealot.com/baofeng-bf-888s-16-channel-uhf-400-470mhz-walkie-talkie-2-way-ra/PLID91134233

Jaracal guys suggest these radios as works perfectly but not best build quality etc.
 So asking here as well, do R1900 RADIOS WORK R1000 BETTER THAN R900 RADIOS !?
Therefore I am me.

janfred

That is unfortunately a value judgement only you can make.

Tests and reviews of the 888s all agree that they do not transmit at the advertised power level, the sound quality is not great and there is bleed-through on adjacent channels. On the plus side, they are cheap and easy to replace. You pretty much get what you pay for.

If you are OK with those faults, then a more expensive unit is probably not worth the extra.

Treeman

I am looking into Hytera radio's, they seem the better make.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Soooo, its  3 days later and I am still battling just to buy a radio set from SATLEC - what a f'up !
Spoke to Dave, gave him 2 email providers to use, he would email me. Next day I phone in rather pissed off, speak to Greg, - okay, he will email me.
Get a email with a price and listing what they need from me to quote me - FFS ! Sen price and banking details. I respond with their wants and a question, that was yesterday.
I phone in again at lunch time, back to Dave, ask my question, pleaded for a quote or invoice or what ever so I can buy two radios - he will email me now.
 Business has closed today and still no response/answer.
Who runs that circus, SATLEC  ?
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Did I not give you a few options? Try them if the guys don't want to do business.

DaavG

I purchased 2 x RTS Two-Way Portable Radio- Bosvark DV3400 for my trip to Bots last year and they worked well. Not sure how they stack up against the other brands but 4x4community.co.za seemed to have good reviews.

https://www.vratvark.co.za/product/bosvark-radio/

Krazong

I am a firm believer in Kenwood.  They have never let me down.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Aug 01, 2024, 09:08 PMDid I not give you a few options? Try them if the guys don't want to do business.
I did and then got more options from your leads. Your leads created more questions.
Like should I not just go the licenced route ?, or should I go VHF or licenced UHF ?
 I know less than when I started - honestly!
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 04, 2024, 06:46 PM
Quote from: Tripodmvr on Aug 01, 2024, 09:08 PMDid I not give you a few options? Try them if the guys don't want to do business.
I did and then got more options from your leads. Your leads created more questions.
Like should I not just go the licenced route ?, or should I go VHF or licenced UHF ?
 I know less than when I started - honestly!

AAh Treeman, you have just found another rabbit hole to dive into. Please, please, dig deeper, educate yourself, so that you can write it up and let us know what to get without us having to duplicate all the home work ;D