Press Mounting System

Started by big5ifty, Jun 01, 2022, 11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

Finding myself with too many reloading presses to have all set up in the reloading area that I had, I reworked the reloading area to a single work table made of steel, with a press mounting system. There is a permanent press mount on the bench, and each press is permanently attached to it's mounting plate, which bolts onto the press mount. Two presses each can be stored to the left and right of the mount on the steel table, with additional storage on benches off picture.

The press mount is made from mild steel tubing, mild steel plate, and pieces of wood for the mating surfaces. The table is 50mm square and round tube, with a steel sheet over a plywood top. The press mount is bolted to the underlying steel frame of the table.

There is a threaded holding pin fixed just off center, for when a press in it's mounting plate is placed on the mount with one hand, a wingnut fitted with the other hand secures the press from falling off while the bolts are being fastened.

Each press has it's own base plate permanently fitted.

The big Hornady single stage in it's storage slot -

A Lee APP in it's storage slot -

A Hornady LnL in it's storage slot -

... and so on for every press. Each one with it's own fitted mounting plate, ready to fit onto the press mount.

Each mounting plate is secured to the mount with bolts and wingnuts, which makes for quick and easy fitting and removing.

The trimmer and neck turners bolt directly to the mount, no base plate required.

When a press is mounted and bolted down -

The center pin on the mount facilitates placing the press on the mount with one hand ...

... and with the free hand, the wingnut secures the plate while the other bolts are fitted and fastened. the reverse for removal.

There are threaded pins fixed on the table to store presses with their mounting plates, each with a wingnut to secure the unused press.

A press in it's storage slot.

The setup facilitates reloading from a comfy bar stool.