Today I am feeling smug

Started by Treeman, Oct 04, 2024, 11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newton

Quote from: oafpatroll on Oct 15, 2024, 10:56 AMThere really aren't any mysteries regarding the annealing of brass alloys. The metallurgists who formulate the alloys used by manufacturers know exactly what heat treatment regimes are required for their desired outcomes and they are conducted multiple times during the drawing out process alone.
How do these companies actually test and quality control their processes - and final product ?
Seeing as this is - "not a mystery"  ?
Perhaps you could - explain ?

For the handloader
I have linked above a a proper scientific study done to determine the correct temperature

To discover the different "hardness" of the brass .. ( Brinell )

So much scientific literature ( I wonder how many people actually read it )

About Cartridge Brass

How to Test the Hardness of Brass

ANNEALING UNDER THE MICROSCOPE

Case Neck Tension - A Stress Analysis

To discover the repeatability and differences in neck tension

May I suggest the use of an AMP Press ( see below )

AMP PRESS

Perhaps next on Treeman's list of reloading equipment ? ( Now that he has a - BOSS - annealer )

Newton

Now THIS I like

QuoteFour pages of rhetoric interrupted by meaningless plagarism of outdated web "research"..... Ugh.

Grab yourselves a Flir handheld IR calibrated & certified temp gauge and a calibrated & certified W-20 handheld hardness tester.

Take 5600 pieces of 1F Lapua & Alpha brass you used at national level competitions, and measure them compared to the reference virgins you set aside from each lot. Anneal a few samples, match hardness, concentricity, neck thickness & bullet-neck interference fit(what the kids call "neck tension"), then go shoot a batch.

You can anneal with whatever you like, flame, AMP, QA. Or.... use a $130 110V annealer with a $17 timer switch off Amazon mounted in a base stand on your work bench, and measure your own shit.

From here

Quick Anneal any users out there with reviews?

Americans are a lot more blunt -and - rude than us ... :)

Newton

An old "How-To" video from a couple of years ago which I posted somewhere some time ago

Explains everything really well - even mentions running an annealing service

Which I now understand a lot better

W-20 handheld hardness tester .. as shown ( and tested ) in the video

W-20 Webster Hardness Tester

The technical detail from AMP

Latest Research from AMP Annealing

I do not see any similar documentation at the "QuickAnneal" website ?

Run the tests including an ir calibrated handheld temperature gauge ( gun ) - save the images
and
You are all set to be able to ...  demonstrably differentiate YOUR product from all the others
and
Put every question about annealing - to bed !