Powder options 6.5CM

Started by BigD, May 20, 2022, 09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigD

Hi everyone.

I have finally run out of my stash of 365 and need to make some choices powder wise for my Howa 6.5CM, bull barrel. Shooting out Lapua cases, small rifle primer and shooting 142g Nosler Accubonds and 120g Hornady GMXs.

Anyone paid the school fees in terms of preferable alternative powder options so I don't have to.

I am JBay based and I know the Co Op has decent enough stock of Vitavhuri(spelling?)

Cheers

BigD

big5ifty

Staball 6.5 .

My son is using it for his competition rifles, 260 Rem, 6BR.

Jimmythethug

Winchester StaBALL 6.5 seems to be the go at the moment (if you can get it)

Treeman

I do not own a 6.5 Creedmoor goes against most manly rules etc. Nonetheless, the Lyman 49th edition lists IMR3031, IMR4895, 4064,4320 AND 4350.
Also Hodgdon 380 and 414.
Stabal 6.5 is touted as the answer in Port Elizabeth at present, but I have never seen a tin.
From what I have read Varget would likely be a good choice for your lighter bullets, I use it in the 7mm-08 for my son.
Limited knowledge regarding 6.5 Creedmoor I have.

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

BigD

Thanks, will see what's available.

Treeman

I think StaBALL is likely going to be the RSA propellant of choice, lot of talk - hype about it replacing many powders as the go too. Seems to be a very suitable propellant.

I am still following up, but I believe a large batch of S335 has just been released again. There was talk of problems in the transport sector of the operation, and when discussed, it came up that propellants needed transport and someone had not done their work properly.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

MeganPiller

We have moved over to Vhitavouri but Sonchem are starting to produce S365 and few others more frequently. In fact just delivered to the entire EC area yesterday.

oafpatroll

My mate was at Shooting Stuff in the week when they took delivery of a bunch of 365 so it looks like there is just the hint of some life in the old Somchem reloading powder horse.

big5ifty

Staball meters well, it's suitable for progressive rifle reloading.

The burn is very consistent, it's not difficult to get low ES.

Somchem blew their factory up twice. They also put the wrong label on the tins. The batches are wildly inconsistent. Why is this even a question.

oafpatroll

Quote from: 414gates on Jun 04, 2022, 10:24 PMStaball meters well, it's suitable for progressive rifle reloading.

The burn is very consistent, it's not difficult to get low ES.

Somchem blew their factory up twice. They also put the wrong label on the tins. The batches are wildly inconsistent. Why is this even a question.

I'm certainly not going to be first in line to stoke a rifle with their propellant as I have a few years worth of import stuff on hand for both jacketed and cast loads. My pistols and shotguns are hungry beasts though so if they crank out some MP, MS or S121 I will certainly take a punt on a bunch assuming it's priced at a bit of a discount to the import stuff. With the price of everything having gone bonkers every little bit helps.