Bow hunting - the first steps.

Started by Treeman, Oct 27, 2022, 09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Cody today started out on his beginning days of bow hunting. He has been shooting with my 70 year old spring steel longbow for a few years now, but the interest comes and goes. Last year he started saving for a compound bow (one of those nice ones Dad). A friend phoned up 2 days ago to say he found the bow he suggested for Cody in the Vaal area. Its a fully adjustable bow that can be used child to adult  -15 - 70 lb draw.
Cody already has about 7 rifles, but never seen him so into something. The rifles I think are my thing that he does with me, the bow is his thing that he grew into.
20221027_144624 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr

He is very easily shooting good grouping from about his 4 th shot with the bow. The second attempt below, the red flight arrows are from a different weight and length, do not know why he shot them same time.
The blue flight arrows are same weight and length.
IMG-20221027-WA0046 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Kola

Suggestion...

On the backstop, make multiple target dots and let him shoot one arrow at each.

As he gets better, shooting groups will soon destroy fletches and then arrows.

Treeman

Quote from: Kola on Oct 28, 2022, 01:37 PMSuggestion...

On the backstop, make multiple target dots and let him shoot one arrow at each.

As he gets better, shooting groups will soon destroy fletches and then arrows.
Yes that makes sense, never thought of it - as a kid we split many a arrow because of good grouping.
Thank You.
Therefore I am me.

Kola

Yes, I have a 'Robin Hood' set of two arrows in my pub.

Cool AF the first time, then you remember how much those two arrows cost you.

Treeman

Our arrows were all made, every part - as kids TV was still science fiction.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

AAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ! Of course, after 20 minutes watching Cody I realized that this is one more thing that he and I could do together.
Making memories - wot its all about. ;D

My bow should arrive Thursday late or early Friday, been 40 years or so, will be interesting to see if I still have it.
I bought a Mathews Z7 with full kit and spares from a bloke 300 km away that has decided its not really for him the bow hunting thing.
So here is our new adventure !
 IMG-20221031-WA0074 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr

IMG-20221031-WA0077 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr
Therefore I am me.

Kola

Great, that is going to be a lot of fun.

I dow this with my family and we have hours of fun together.

Treeman

I am battling with my Flicker account, Cody and I each have a account, but the shared something is making trouble. I down load on my account and find the photo's on his account. Look at above picture ? I took photo and down loaded yet its on his account. Seems to randomly choose a upload to destination. Is it the shared network or service provider or what?
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

My bow arrived in PE today, BUT ! because its economy  rate, they only move it from main depot next day  :-X WTF !!!

So my night will be long and the morning will drag out till the tracking states - "At kiosk - (read - ready for collection)"

I am rather exited, and a bit nervous, how well will I shoot? can I pull a 70 lb bow? will my back handle this exercise?
It has been 40 years since I last shot bow.

My boy is pleased, said tonight while he was shooting "tomorrow night Dad, there will be 2 of us shooting". I think he is looking much forward to the "us" factor. Cody is very about together, doing it together, being together.
Another step in our lives, TOGETHER, me my boy and I
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

Call me when the bow arrives, I will gladly record the excuses and explanations, likely with Cody's laughing in background.
I see he is really getting the hang of it, when I got to your place today for tools, I saw the target is pretty much old in one spot 1 - 2 inch's to left of the bull and like new else where? I would imagine you will now adjust those pins to move the spot he is hitting ?

Kola

Quote from: Treeman on Nov 03, 2022, 08:50 PMMy bow arrived in PE today, BUT ! because its economy  rate, they only move it from main depot next day  :-X WTF !!!

So my night will be long and the morning will drag out till the tracking states - "At kiosk - (read - ready for collection)"

I am rather exited, and a bit nervous, how well will I shoot? can I pull a 70 lb bow? will my back handle this exercise?
It has been 40 years since I last shot bow.

My boy is pleased, said tonight while he was shooting "tomorrow night Dad, there will be 2 of us shooting". I think he is looking much forward to the "us" factor. Cody is very about together, doing it together, being together.
Another step in our lives, TOGETHER, me my boy and I

Just take it easy and build up as you go.
Do not try shoot 100 arrows by this weekend.
Start with a few, then increase very slowly and before you know it 100 arrows in a session will be easy.
Quality (form) is much more important than quantity.
If you shoot, concentrate on every shot and the moment you feel or see it is not as easy as the previous shots, or as consistent, stop (continuing with bad form will result in bad habits, difficult to get rid of again).

Have fun!

Edit: Many Matthews bows have adjustable draw weights, RTFM and start with the Lowes weight you can.
Also, start shooting at very short distances and build on that as you improve.
Remember, as much fun as good groups are, it becomes expensive when you shoot an arrow up the previous arrow's ring piece...

Second edit:

From the Matthews site - https://www.mathewsinc.com/faq/

Mathews bows have approximately a ten-pound range of weight reduction from the bow's peak weight (example: if the bow has a peak weight of 70 pounds, it can be adjusted as low as 60 pounds). Draw weight adjustments are made using either a 3/16" or 7/32" Allen Wrench. Turn the limb bolt clockwise to increase the draw weight and counter clockwise to decrease the weight. Both limb bolts must be adjusted equally, or the bow may become out of tune/synchronization. The limb bolt should be snug. Do not over-tighten. Each rotation equals approximately 2 to 4 pounds of draw weight. Consult your Authorized Mathews Retailer for the maximum number of rotations your bow can be decreased.

Kola

Quote from: JamesNotBond on Nov 03, 2022, 08:59 PMCall me when the bow arrives, I will gladly record the excuses and explanations, likely with Cody's laughing in background.
I see he is really getting the hang of it, when I got to your place today for tools, I saw the target is pretty much old in one spot 1 - 2 inch's to left of the bull and like new else where? I would imagine you will now adjust those pins to move the spot he is hitting ?

Best is to have multiple aiming spots on the target.

I have 12 x 1" spots painted on my arrow stop, shoot 1 arrow per aiming mark, 12 arrow strings.

It prevents me from damaging arrows and also makes it a lot easier to pull the arrows between strings.

Take and post video of them shooting...

Kola

As I mentioned taking video...

It is a good idea to take video of each other shooting, then watch it in slow motion.

Helps to correct small things you might not be aware of or might not notice while shooting.

Treeman

It has arrived, the journey begins.

10:40, very exited, really want to open the parcel, but my boy is 14 and at 14 who opens a parcel is very important ! So I guess I will wait, the shine up on his face when he realizes that he gets to open it will be worth it.
20221104_100309 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

and so it begins...... 4 th shot new bow, after 40 years or so.
shot o by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
Therefore I am me.