So you've been reloading a while ...

Started by big5ifty, Nov 08, 2022, 05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

.. and you've owned pretty much every brand of press over the years - not necessarily every model, but enough to get a feel for the quality of each brand.

You own and reload handgun calibers on one or more progressive reloaders as well.

Knowing what you know, if you were to choose a new progressive reloader for several pistol calibers, what make and model would you choose different from what you already have, and why ?

Any features you think you could benefit from now that you didn't think were necessary before ?

Ds J

Between budget and purpose I would probably go for one of the smaller Lee systems.

I shoot too little to justify a blue press.

oafpatroll

I get by fine for handgun reloading on my many times rebuilt and 30+ year old Lee Pro 1000 so no change there. For single stage I would set a budget of approx R4k and buy the biggest, heaviest, tightest one I could find second hand.

Treeman

I had 5 press's, I am now down to one RCBs junk of steel, it works well enough for me.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

JamesNotBond

Also only ever had a RCBS - left hand lever only. Must be 40 years now.

Ds J

Quote from: oafpatroll on Nov 09, 2022, 08:50 AMI get by fine for handgun reloading on my many times rebuilt and 30+ year old Lee Pro 1000 so no change there. For single stage I would set a budget of approx R4k and buy the biggest, heaviest, tightest one I could find second hand.

Quote from: Treeman on Nov 09, 2022, 05:57 PMI had 5 press's, I am now down to one RCBs junk of steel, it works well enough for me.

Quote from: JamesNotBond on Nov 09, 2022, 08:29 PMAlso only ever had a RCBS - left hand lever only. Must be 40 years now.

Manne, julle mis die punt.

Sy vraag was spesifiek vir n multi-pers.

oafpatroll

Ok let me try again. I wouldn't buy a more expensive progressive press than my venerable vintage Pro 1000 as I get by perfectly well with it at the volumes I load. If I was to start loading a lot more handgun or began .556 I would get a second hand Loadmaster as it's a bit sturdier and smoother in operation.