Cajun adjustable sear - a cautionary tale

Started by oafpatroll, Nov 16, 2022, 12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oafpatroll

Thought I should make this public service announcement. I installed a Cajun hammer and adjustable sear in my old Pre-B 75 and I now have a little over a 1000 rounds through it with the new super tasty trigger. Paired with a new fine fibre optic front sight and LPA rear it has transformed the old girl who i have been shooting continuously for > 30 years.

When I adjusted the sear I had it so that the safety 'just' engaged and prevented hammer drop. I realise now I undercooked it a bit as during dry fire practise last night I was able to cause hammer drop from SA. Properly shat myself. Had I not been very careful in testing it originally I would assume that I hadn't got it to engage. Suspect that a bit of wear in between sear stop screw and the safety bar took out the 'just' part of the engagement from my adjustment. Wound it in a quarter turn more and all is good again.

Strongly suggest erring on the side of caution when adjusting these things AND checking them periodically for function.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Nov 16, 2022, 12:56 PMThought I should make this public service announcement. I installed a Cajun hammer and adjustable sear in my old Pre-B 75 and I now have a little over a 1000 rounds through it with the new super tasty trigger. Paired with a new fine fibre optic front sight and LPA rear it has transformed the old girl who i have been shooting continuously for > 30 years.

When I adjusted the sear I had it so that the safety 'just' engaged and prevented hammer drop. I realise now I undercooked it a bit as during dry fire practise last night I was able to cause hammer drop from SA. Properly shat myself. Had I not been very careful in testing it originally I would assume that I hadn't got it to engage. Suspect that a bit of wear in between sear stop screw and the safety bar took out the 'just' part of the engagement from my adjustment. Wound it in a quarter turn more and all is good again.

Strongly suggest erring on the side of caution when adjusting these things AND checking them periodically for function.
I have often wondered if there is ever any measurable wear on trigger parts.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.