Silver rapids .223 powder coated bullets.

Started by Treeman, Nov 29, 2022, 10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I bought a few hundred of these to try out, first thing I noted when I started reloading them was the crazy array of base finish's. The coating has pooled at the base of almost every bullet causing bumps, shapes and patterns, I will be greatly surprised if I get any consistency with these bullets.
With this array of base shapes I am expecting a similar array of POI, the base of a bullet is super important for accuracy.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Nov 29, 2022, 10:54 PMI bought a few hundred of these to try out, first thing I noted when I started reloading them was the crazy array of base finish's. The coating has pooled at the base of almost every bullet causing bumps, shapes and patterns, I will be greatly surprised if I get any consistency with these bullets.
With this array of base shapes I am expecting a similar array of POI, the base of a bullet is super important for accuracy.

I find it much more time consuming to powder coat rifle than pistol. 2 or three times at least. The standard of finish and consistency required takes a lot more time and work to achieve.

Treeman

Can someone explain to me.
I had to bell the case mouth to load cast bullets, but now when seating the bullet there is still some bell left on the case. I have set seating die down to touch the ram, but the bell on the case mouth is still visible.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 01, 2022, 08:55 PMCan someone explain to me.
I had to bell the case mouth to load cast bullets, but now when seating the bullet there is still some bell left on the case. I have set seating die down to touch the ram, but the bell on the case mouth is still visible.

What happens when you put an empty, belled case through the same die? It is supposed to crimp, or not? Maybe some internal adjustment?

Tripodmvr

Do you not have a Lee Collet Crimping die? That will easily fix the mouth so that it will chamber easily.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Dec 02, 2022, 02:17 PMDo you not have a Lee Collet Crimping die? That will easily fix the mouth so that it will chamber easily.
I just may have one of these !

I tried 4 loads today - "fokkit dus lelik" - fkn everywhere + some where else on page!!!! AT 50 m
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Dec 02, 2022, 08:39 PM
Quote from: Tripodmvr on Dec 02, 2022, 02:17 PMDo you not have a Lee Collet Crimping die? That will easily fix the mouth so that it will chamber easily.

I tried 4 loads today - "fokkit dus lelik" - fkn everywhere + some where else on page!!!! AT 50 m

This is pretty normal for ma  ;D  ;D

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Dec 02, 2022, 09:16 PM

This is pretty normal for ma  ;D  ;D
Huh ?
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Just kidding, and joking with my own
Quote from: Treeman on Dec 02, 2022, 09:18 PM
Quote from: Ds J on Dec 02, 2022, 09:16 PM

This is pretty normal for me  ;D  ;D
Huh ?

Spelling mistake.

I was joking with my own bad shooting days.

Treeman

Ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is bad, very bad.
 55 gr V Max 4 bullets touching holes at 50 m
 65 gr Siera 3 bullets clover leaf

62 gr Silver Rapids PolyCoated 8 shots 2 on page ?

I have no idea what is going on, last load were hand size groups with the odd missing bullet, now its find the holes. The bullets are at about 2600 fps, they not stripping because there is no fouling. WTF is going on ?

It is so bad I honestly just feel they do not work in this rifle at all, but really like not at all.
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Running too slow might be the problem. Give me some figures to work with and let QL do some magic.

oafpatroll

What velocity are they supposed to be good to?

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Dec 06, 2022, 09:28 AMWhat velocity are they supposed to be good to?
2700 fps - I just know its not my reloading, something else wrong here, 1 in 8 twist ?
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Treeman

Therefore I am me.