BMG loading tray

Started by big5ifty, Jan 16, 2023, 12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big5ifty

Made a BMG reloading tray.

Treeman

looking at the money involved in the regard to the BigManGun, surely you could have applied your art to something above Sappi Pine ?
Go to Rare Woods and get a piece of Rosewood or even a slice of rail sleeper, more befitting of the company it will be keeping.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

big5ifty

I have done basic work with more exotic wood, but truth is I really prefer the look of the grain in pine, and the gloss varnish enhances the contrast beautifully.

Ds J

The first question always to cross my mind when it comes to the BMG:

How would it perform on an elephant?

If loaded with a 900gr monolithic FP ...?

big5ifty

Energy-wise, it's a bit more than a 600 nitro express, maybe closer to a 700 NE.

Treeman

Quote from: 414gates on Jan 17, 2023, 08:55 AMEnergy-wise, it's a bit more than a 600 nitro express, maybe closer to a 700 NE.
Kinda like more than enough  ?
Is it not a much bigger heavier platform though?, much bigger.
Therefore I am me.

big5ifty

A 600 or 700 NE is heavy. That's why they use gun-bearers.

I'm sure it's possible to fit a 50bmg in a hunting rifle configuration for walk and stalk.

If anyone is able to carry it around all day, and is still able to shoulder it and fire accurately enough not to need a follow up shot, then good luck to them.

Ds J

I am pretty sure that even the lightest rifle built for a BMG would be impractical. Firstly weight - a long, thick action plus a thick barrel; secondly recoil - no need to be spoken about.

Hence I assume that a BMG rifle would be for long range hunting, even it "long range" on elephants might mean 250m+.

Treeman

Just seems pointless for purpose ?

Perhaps for Parks Board selective culling work, perhaps removing a hurt - sick animal from herd safely and with minimum disturbance to herd.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Quote from: Treeman on Jan 19, 2023, 05:12 PMJust seems pointless for purpose ?

Perhaps for Parks Board selective culling work, perhaps removing a hurt - sick animal from herd safely and with minimum disturbance to herd.

I have to agree: for general use it is pointless.

But somewhere along the line someone built a V8 into a Mini Cooper, just because ... and someone else put a supercharger into a Nissan Patrol to beat the Bugatti Veyron...

Hence I must deduce that someone will hunt an elephant with a BMG.

Shotofrank

Very likely the same guy that put the v8 in the mini I think.
Why, when and where. Then death.