I bought a saw and mincer.

Started by Treeman, Aug 28, 2023, 09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

I processed my own animal for the first time this hunt. I bought an old Springbuck meat saw that came with a mincer and old RSA flag colors on paper work. ;D

I am now officially a bush to table hunter.

The saw takes a lot of learning, but luckily I have a friend who feels he owe me a lot because I taught him to reload, so I am lucky.

Now I need to buy a sausage stuffer to make wors, more work  :o
saw by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
saw visd by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

DaavG

Nice! I think you get a sausage stuffer attachment for the mincer which would work.

Scared shitless about bandsaws and fingers!

oafpatroll

Quote from: DaavG on Aug 29, 2023, 01:57 PMScared shitless about bandsaws and fingers!

^This. Cold meat makes cold dumb fingers makes counting past 10 a bear unless you're barefoot ;)

Guy that ran my local butcher years ago was a few digit segments light and he said it happened late one evening while pushing through a really big order.

I love the idea of being able to manage the entire process from bullet casting to wors braaing. Good on you for making that a real thing.

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Aug 29, 2023, 01:57 PMNice! I think you get a sausage stuffer attachment for the mincer which would work.

You may find it hard to believe, I do not go near where the saws are being used, I even leave shops where I can hear these saws. If I stand an watch one being used, I start heaving, I wanna puke.
BUT BUT BUT, this saw has not got that sound, I think it runs at a slower RPM

I how ever am going to battle, it still scares me terribly even with out that sound, and after what you saw I went to bed, it really is a fight to use it, I have a phobia I will have to beat.
I will build a blade cover to block unused blade area ------------ it scares me horribly - I do not know how one can use one for a living.
I wheelie motor bikes well in exess of 200 km/h with no comparable fear.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Aug 29, 2023, 01:57 PMNice! I think you get a sausage stuffer attachment for the mincer which would work.

I have been advised to buy a free standing sausage stuffer.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 29, 2023, 04:58 PM************************

A mate of mine who makes his own Kraut style sausages and boerewors reckons the good quality hand cranked ones are the ticket. They have a big wide cylinder and apparently that makes the flow of meat really consistent and controllable when the handle is cranked.

Ds J

Some stuffers have two gears. They make it a lot easier and faster. For some reason, I prefer a horisontal, backloading stuffer to a vertical, toploading one. 

Treeman

"Oh Fok !" here it comes again, choices and options, confusion and hesitation.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 29, 2023, 05:39 PM
Quote from: Treeman on Aug 29, 2023, 04:58 PM************************

A mate of mine who makes his own Kraut style sausages and boerewors reckons the good quality hand cranked ones are the ticket. They have a big wide cylinder and apparently that makes the flow of meat really consistent and controllable when the handle is cranked.
Please ask your friend if u may forward his number - I would just like to get a verbal walk through on his Kraut sausage. Please.
Therefore I am me.

DaavG

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 29, 2023, 04:58 PMI have been advised to buy a free standing sausage stuffer.

That what was what I was advised and I have a separate stuffer and mincer. I have never tried the sausage attachments but a mate used to have a small butcher and made bulk wors using electric stuffer as it was significantly quicker.

Agreed on preferring a horizontal stuffer - more counter top space but it seems to flow better than a vertical unit I tried.

janfred

Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 29, 2023, 02:10 PM
Quote from: DaavG on Aug 29, 2023, 01:57 PMScared shitless about bandsaws and fingers!

^This. Cold meat makes cold dumb fingers makes counting past 10 a bear unless you're barefoot ;)

Guy that ran my local butcher years ago was a few digit segments light and he said it happened late one evening while pushing through a really big order.

I love the idea of being able to manage the entire process from bullet casting to wors braaing. Good on you for making that a real thing.
Reminds me of my first driving lesson. Driving a kombi to the doctor with my dad's hand wrapped in a towel. The saw went through the soft tissue between the thumb and forefinger to the bone. Thankfully no real damage was done.

Treeman

Quote from: DaavG on Aug 30, 2023, 07:08 AM
Quote from: Treeman on Aug 29, 2023, 04:58 PMI have been advised to buy a free standing sausage stuffer.

Agreed on preferring a horizontal stuffer - more counter top space but it seems to flow better than a vertical unit I tried.
I am much into how something feels, and the horizontal feels right in my brain while the vertical seems more "right" for liquids, strange how the mind works.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: janfred on Aug 30, 2023, 07:40 AM
Quote from: oafpatroll on Aug 29, 2023, 02:10 PM

Reminds me of my first driving lesson. Driving a kombi to the doctor with my dad's hand wrapped in a towel. The saw went through the soft tissue between the thumb and forefinger to the bone. Thankfully no real damage was done.

Niiiiiice !!! Guys guys, you have to bring this up ?  :-X  - already half sick with foreboding, scared of this thing much.
One blessing, is that my saw does not make the meowing screech when cutting, I would not have bought it if it made that sound. Never no nay never !!!
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Aug 29, 2023, 07:37 PMPlease ask your friend if u may forward his number - I would just like to get a verbal walk through on his Kraut sausage. Please.

I'll ask but I wouldn't suggest holding your breath. He's a grumpy old git.

Treeman

So we made our first sausage, it was a bit on the less spicy side, actually perfect for me. but wife wants more hide the meat additives.
20230911_195924 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr

My son and I really had a very good moment in time doing this.
20230913_214756_1069742335989393 by Cody  Allen, on Flickr

I bought my own sausage stuffer yesterday.
Therefore I am me.