Some home made lube application.

Started by Treeman, Dec 30, 2023, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Molybdenum disulfide -  MoS2, stuff has always fascinated me, a dry lubricant. When GS Customs bullets were coating their bullets and Moly Coating kits were the in thing, I thought of using it in other applications. Remember I like doing it myself.
Using Moli in its usual powder form works, but is messy - very.

I eventually melted wax and mixed Moli powder into the wax till it would take no more powder, I poured this hot wax past into a thin plastic tube and let it set. When hard, it is hard, I removed the plastic and had Moli crayons. I have Used this in locks and surface to surface applications with succes, but have not yet found its wonder application.
It works for spots where oil is a irritant, like the pin on a fishing reel that goes through the handle piece that turns on the reels handle - oiling that is needed, but then it gets on your hand when you use the real.
You can draw it on an surface that glides, or put it on a spot and melt it into the needed area.

20231230_185616 by David Frank Allen, on Flickr
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Againstthegrains

Very clever. I love the idea of dry lubricants. Alternatively, I hate oils that attract dust, and land up working like grinding paste :(