Bullet stuck in barrel ... ?

Started by Ds J, Jan 12, 2024, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ds J

I drove past an old WWII cannon today, and wondered how one would proceed to get it up and running during an end-of-the-world scenario.

I can think of one or two possibilities, but I won't stand nearby when it fires any number of times!

This lead me to a theoretical question: how does one get rid of a bullet in a barrel?

And is the barrel still functional afterwards?

I once saw a photo of a .38 S&W barrel which had survived five or six stuck bullets. It was full of donuts!

I doubt that a regular rifle barrel is safe to use after a stuck bullet.

oafpatroll

I've seen plenty of stuck 9mm bullets resulting from squibs at club matches over the years. They can almost always be driven out with a cleaning rod and a rock. Couple of guys at my club have calibre specific slide hammer like gadgets for the purpose.

A barrel thats been bulged when a round has been fired when there is already a bullet stuck in it is another story. Even if it was able to be cleared you couldn't pay me enough to shoot it.

Treeman

Stuck bullets and barrel bulges !
I once took a cleaning rod out a 458 barrel not knowing and not checking, the last part of the 4 part rod had unscrewed and remained in the barrel with the brush.
The next shot was a bit otherwize, the guy beside me s rather noisy and lots of sign language gesticulating. It was a rather shocking moment seeing the dust and something bouncing down range, it took another guy to explain what he saw.

A close day for me indeed.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: oafpatroll on Jan 13, 2024, 01:02 PMI've seen plenty of stuck 9mm bullets resulting from squibs at club matches over the years. They can almost always be driven out with a cleaning rod and a rock. Couple of guys at my club have calibre specific slide hammer like gadgets for the purpose.

This is an example of the handgun squib remover I mentioned above. Oddly enough they refer to it as a 'flogging hammer' but i've always called this sort of thing a 'slide hammer'.

https://www.adv-sp.com/product/flogging-hammer-hand-gun-only/

Treeman

many amazing uses for a sliding hammer.
Half dozen o - rings or masking tape correctly around a metal rod till just fit in barrel (rolled on like on the roll in 4 - 5 places along bar, especially at work end) Tap it a proper shot and it moves along. I have always put some motor oil in front of bullet before knocking it out, really makes a difference when it starts moving.
I also slug barrels using oil.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.