Quick day hunt

Started by Mohamed, Jul 19, 2024, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohamed

On my yearly hunt this yea at the end of June I shot a blesbok. It was late Saturday afternoon and the only opportunity we had for the day. The blesbok ran off and we couldn't get another shot in due to the other animals around. We trekked it and it got dark so it was decided to carry on in the morning. We found it the next morning less than 100m from where we stopped. It sat down next to a tree and passed on, however, during the night the jackals had a feast and all we found was what was left of the carcass. We seen a lot of tracks when we were walking and could hear them inviting all their buddies to the feast that night.

Between Saturday and Sunday we did around 40km walking, but didn't get any more opportunity's to shoot anything.
As usual, the time spent in the bush was excellent.

Around 2 weeks ago a friend suggested I go for a day hunt. After thinking about it, I started looking for a place I could go to not far from home. I settled on a farm in the Brokhorstspruit area. While chatting to a friend, it so happened that he knew the farmer. I asked him to join me and after checking if he could get the day off, he decided to come with, along with his father and a friend.

We left early Wednesday morning as we had to be there by 7:00am. As we approached the farm, we saw a huge jackal cross the road. We reached just as the sun was beginning to rise, what a spectacular sight.

After having coffee and rusks, we headed out to the range to sight in our rifles. Due to the flat open terrain, shooting distances are between 150m and 250m on average. We sighted in at 200m.Lately my scope has been having issues which was also evident at the range. I had already ordered a new one and should get it soon.

We headed off to hunt. I missed my first blesbok, shot over it. We came across a group of springboks and followed them until they stopped. We waited for an opportunity on a female springbok. There was one,standing broadside.Took the shot at 132m and she dropped on the spot.

Next we went looking for a female blesbok. Came across a herd and waited for one to move away. There was one facing us, took a shot at 143m. She ran off and we followed it, till it stopped and I took a broadside shot and she fell where she stood. The first bullet was recovered under the skin at the rear end.

We then went on looking for 2 blesboks for the other hunter. He shot one huge female at around 210m. Not sure what distance he shot the first one at. We seen many species of game on the farm, which I really enjoyed.

I used SBC 150gr which worked very well on this hunt. Need to improve on the velocity a bit, but happy with its performance overall. First hunts using reloaded ammo, first year reloading rifle ammo thanks to a few members on the group.For the previous hunt I loaded 165gr Norma Oryx which also performed well. Seen the entrance and exit on what was left of the blesbok carcass.

Late afternoon approached and it was time to go. It was an excellent day hunt, filled with wonderful memories.

oafpatroll

Great write up, thanks for taking us along. Those SBC bullets are really starting to make a name for themselves. Rudi certainly knows his way around bullet design and construction.

Mohamed

Yes, Rudi is doing sterling work. Many people who I've met are keen on trying out his bullets. I try promoting it to those I know. Hopefully they turn into regular customers for him.

oafpatroll

He mentioned some time back that a .277 might be in the works. Will definitely pick up a pack or two to try out if he starts on them.

Mohamed

I see on this year's price list he has the .277 150gr and is busy with a .277 130gr.

oafpatroll

Good news. Thanks for the heads up.

Treeman

Have not seen a Blesbuck since pre Covid, the draught killed everyone of them down this side, East Cape.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Mohamed

That is sad, hope the restock and grow the blesbok population.

DaavG

Nice story Mohamed, thanks for the post! Well done on your animals!

Mohamed

Quote from: DaavG on Jul 22, 2024, 08:40 AMNice story Mohamed, thanks for the post! Well done on your animals!

Thank you.

Shotofrank

Did you recover any of the projectiles used?
Why, when and where. Then death.

Mohamed

Quote from: Shotofrank on Jul 22, 2024, 07:49 PMDid you recover any of the projectiles used?

Yes, recovered 1, it's in the 2nd photo.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Jul 21, 2024, 03:28 PMHave not seen a Blesbuck since pre Covid, the draught killed everyone of them down this side, East Cape.

Bokke up here are much tougher than the ones in styx. Some drink themselves to death on spirits but I've never heard of one succumbing to beer.

Mohamed

Quote from: Shotofrank on Jul 22, 2024, 07:49 PMDid you recover any of the projectiles used?