The Karen Webb matter.

Started by JamesNotBond, Aug 28, 2024, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripodmvr

Full story on HeraldLIVE.

Mystery co-accused to join gun dealer in court
More cases added as Webb also in hot water after allegedly being found with cellphone

By Riaan Marais - 01 October 2024
Beleaguered Gqeberha gun dealer Karen Webb is expected to have company in the dock when she returns to the city's magistrate's court on Tuesday.

While already facing several charges related to theft, fraud and illegal dealings in firearms, more cases were brought against the 40-year-old when she appeared in court on Monday...

Newton

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 01, 2024, 10:03 AMFull story on HeraldLIVE.
Mystery co-accused to join gun dealer in court
More cases added as Webb also in hot water after allegedly being found with cellphone
Full story is behind a ... PAYWALL !

What is the GOSA , SAGA . and firearms industry comment on this saga

Well here is report from Martin Hood ( courtesy of NatShoot ) - which may be a bit more helpful than the closed to view HERALD

QuoteMr. Hood points out that: "Warrant officer JJ Botha is the investigating officer in the Webb matter and has decided that he is going to confiscate all firearms belonging to any person that did competency training with Webbs Arms during a certain time period."

IMPROPER SEIZURE OF FIREARMS IN EASTERN CAPE

Tripodmvr

More news from Heraldlive.

A George man made his first court appearance alongside a Gqeberha firearms dealer this week after his arrest for illegally transporting and storing hundreds of firearms from Nelson Mandela Bay at premises in Sedgefield on the Garden Route.

Francois van der Merwe appeared in the Gqeberha magistrate's court on Tuesday with firearms dealer Karen Webb after his arrest in George earlier this week...

Newton

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 03, 2024, 09:05 AMMore news from Heraldlive.

A George man made his first court appearance alongside a Gqeberha firearms dealer this week after his arrest for illegally transporting and storing hundreds of firearms from Nelson Mandela Bay at premises in Sedgefield on the Garden Route.

Francois van der Merwe appeared in the Gqeberha magistrate's court on Tuesday with firearms dealer Karen Webb after his arrest in George earlier this week...
SO the plot thickens - how many more arrests ?
How do people let themselves get involved in such dubious rubbish ?
Favours for [female]friends - that come with "advantages"  ?

Newton

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 03, 2024, 09:05 AMMore news from Heraldlive.
This site is open

QuoteFrancois Van Der Merwe was arrested in George on Monday and transported to Gqeberha, where he and Webb appeared in the Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

He was charged with the transportation of firearms throughout South Africa without an in-transit permit, failure to ensure that the firearms and ammunition possessed on the authority of the dealer's license were transported in accordance with the packaging requirements during transportation as set out in the regulations, the unlawful possession of a firearm, and the unlawful possession of ammunition.

Van Der Merwe allegedly transported a total of 658 firearms from Webb's cache to the Western Cape over two days in January.

According to the charge sheet, the firearms were transported from Webb's Arms to Pete's Gun Repairs in Sedgefield.

At the time, Webb was allegedly already the subject of a police investigation.

Another suspect arrested in Webb Arms saga

Stuff freaking paywalls

SAPS were waiting for the - "stew to thicken"  .... :)

oafpatroll

SAPS doesn't like competition. If the numbers are to be believed Webb sold a tiny fraction of the illegal guns that SAPS nice Colonel Prinsloo did on his own. He did barely any time in actual prison and was on parole inside of four years despite many of the thousands of guns he sold to Cape Flats gangsters being confirmed to have been used in murders. My spidey sense says that this Webb moron and her accomplices will spend substantially more time in the klink. 

Newton

Quote from: oafpatroll on Oct 03, 2024, 10:11 AMSAPS doesn't like competition. If the numbers are to be believed Webb sold a tiny fraction of the illegal guns that SAPS nice Colonel Prinsloo did on his own. He did barely any time in actual prison and was on parole inside of four years despite many of the thousands of guns he sold to Cape Flats gangsters being confirmed to have been used in murders. My spidey sense says that this Webb moron and her accomplices will spend substantially more time in the klink. 
Apparently - part of a devious ANC plan to destabilise the Western Cape / Cape Town
May explain the judicial / correctional services .. lack of proper prosecution of Prinsloo
Who was perhaps acting .. "on his masters orders" ?
Go watch the movie .. "Lord of War"

Tripodmvr

Maybe I would also have moved mountains (and not just guns) if those baby blue eyes had looked into mine !!!!!!

Newton

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 03, 2024, 04:57 PMMaybe I would also have moved mountains (and not just guns) if those baby blue eyes had looked into mine !!!!!!
"Baby blue eyes" - and - Gun shop owner do NOT I am afraid go together !

Treeman

Quote from: Newton on Oct 03, 2024, 06:05 PM
Quote from: Tripodmvr on Oct 03, 2024, 04:57 PMMaybe I would also have moved mountains (and not just guns) if those baby blue eyes had looked into mine !!!!!!
"Baby blue eyes" - and - Gun shop owner do NOT I am afraid go together !
Know, met her been around her, nothing really impressive in any way. The gal had a good body, but nowhere near the "gees! check that chick " category. She has a business friendly manner with a dismissive overtone, the feeling of that you being considered slightly  inferior was always a consideration. The strongest message I got from her company was "me first, I am more important and FOK Jou!"
She was the kind of person I always made a point of being extra nice, complimentary too for two reasons: One she needed and placed you in accordance to how bright you made her candle feel, second, if she was not good about you she would be reeeeal difficult, really difficult with no consideration to who else it affected.
I therefore kept her happy and complimented, let her know I also thought her ex was a doos ( he is a friend of mine ) and just let her know how much better she did everything.
I had no indication or foresight of what she was doing, never even picked up a sniff of tongue wag, except, except !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Her husband (x) when he was released during Covid, I gave him a lift somewhere and we did a quick tidy up and pack away of various things we had to discuss,  the first thing he said after we had settled our loose ends, was  " yerra David there is something, the papers David the papers david yussus david I told the cops, there is something wrong. YOU MUST SEE WHAT SHES DONE "
fok boet -----------------he was right. 
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

zguy

So it seems her ex-husband used to own the shop before and then he got convicted for Fraud and went to the gulag, and then somehow the ex wife took over.

Ex husband owns a new shop with a similar name (Arthur Webb Firearms) now, and people mistake him for the dodgy dealings of the previous shop.

I mean, the man did his time. Fair and Square. I hope this time his dealings are above board and he has learnt that SARS likes their slice of pie. Best of luck to him.

As far as the woman goes, she did a massive disservice to all of her legit clients. Throwing a bad name on the mostly law abiding gun owners. Whatever crime can be linked to those weapons, she should be charged with as well.

As for old Chris Prinsloo, he is only out because there are other SAPS members who were not implicated, that were involved. Watching out for old friends.

Newton

Quote from: zguy on Oct 03, 2024, 11:41 PMSo it seems her ex-husband used to own the shop before and then he got convicted for Fraud and went to the gulag, and then somehow the ex wife took over.
Ex husband owns a new shop with a similar name (Arthur Webb Firearms) now, and people mistake him for the dodgy dealings of the previous shop.
I have NO idea how someone with such a background and criminal record is allowed to get a competency and operate [AGAIN} as a firearms dealer ?????

Treeman

Quote from: Newton on Oct 04, 2024, 08:49 AM
Quote from: zguy on Oct 03, 2024, 11:41 PMSo it seems her ex-husband used to own the shop before and then he got convicted for Fraud and went to the gulag, and then somehow the ex wife took over.
I have NO idea how someone with such a background and criminal record is allowed to get a competency and operate [AGAIN} as a firearms dealer ?????
I have no problem with her Ex husband, to me he is a guy that just got greedy. We all try bend our tax and vat and Gov payments as much as we can, he just went one level up and claimed , avoided a bit to much and got caught. I can not see why a non violent and also a purely paperwork crime should classify you as a non firearm owner - we have all done some crime in some degree or someone else's interpretation of the law.
PLEASE do not tell me you have never NEVER done something against the law or bending the law.
Arthur did what he did - stupid yes, dishonest yes, a crime yes, but a life time pay for matter ?????? I think 4 years  sitting for basically just being a bit more balsy about about the money the Government steals from us is enough - cut and dried.
I also wonder just how the pack dog syndrome works, most guys know little about matter but have big opinions about it, only tear other guys apart opinions. I see this tear each other down thing so often.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

oafpatroll

Quote from: Treeman on Oct 04, 2024, 09:31 AMI can not see why a non violent and also a purely paperwork crime should classify you as a non firearm owner - we have all done some crime in some degree or someone else's interpretation of the law.

It doesn't but I think it should disqualify you from being a firearms dealer just as it does, in most cases, from being a company director. By being convicted of fraud you have defined yourself as being up to dishonesty and being incompetent at it. Not sure which is the worse of those two.

oafpatroll

Some good news posted by Paul Oxley on Gunsite.

----------------------------------------------
https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?111563-The-latest-development-in-the-Webb-Arms-saga&p=1521802#post1521802

''In the matter of Jacques Verwey and Minister of Police &Others:

The Applicant, on an urgent basis sought the return of firearms and ammunition he had handed over to the Paterson police station. He further sought declaratory orders confirming that he is currently in possession of valid firearm licences as well as a valid competency certificate. The applicants' firearms were confiscated on the basis of his competency certificate being invalid subsequent to completing his proficiency training with Webb Arms, who is currently charged and under further investigation for fraudulently administering proficiency training certificates to clients.

On the 17th of October 2024, Judgment was handed by K Strydom in the Gauteng High Court, to which he ordered all firearms to be returned to the licenced owner and further declared that his competency is deemed to be valid. With judgment being in the Applicants favour, costs have been granted against SAPS.''

This follows various SAPS officers going around demanding the surrender of firearms (based sometimes on a defective warrant).

SAPS tried to claim in court that the Applicant 'voluntarily surrendered his firearms', the Judge kicked their teeth in by awarding costs against them.