Induction Annealing Service

Started by WagonWheel, Oct 06, 2024, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WagonWheel

I am requiring advice from this sites members regarding a start up service. I will be offering induction annealing service and need to find a feasible price per case.

Some math to consider.

100 Norma cases for a 30 06 are now R2130.00
Depending on how hot you load, 4 - 8 accurate repeatable reloads, then R2130.00 again.

If you shoot that case 4 x and then reload it and shoot it next to your original first reload.
#1: there is just no chance your POI will be the same at 200 m.
#2 if shooting at full power (not hot, just at top velocity) that case is likely ready to split or crack.
both results = buy new cases.
That's R2130 gone for 3-400 shots, done and you NEED bullets again + R1600 (remember this bullet cost)

If you buy 100 new cases shoot them 3-4 x and send them in for annealing ?
Lets say annealing costs R6.00 (just for a number to use). So its R600 for the 100 cases + the purchase price = about R2730.00.
But, now ! you good for original 4 shots, + the post anneal 4 firings and the R1540 left over from the cases you have not bought can now be used to buy those bullets.
So you have now got 4 more firings and a box of bullets for same price as what the new cases would have cost for half the number of firings.
If you shoot even a reasonable amount of practice + hunt, you may be interested to know that the cases can be annealed again and again and maybe again.

Each Time you get a box of bullets instead of buying new cases.

If you neck size it is good to note that you will also be firing fire formed for your chamber cases, if you full length size, it does not matter - you have annealed the brass - its good to go, bump that shoulder back another 4 times.

I ask members to fault, comment and mostly suggest pricing.

Ds J

Quite a few shooters in our area report 20 reloads from their cases, with annealing.

Mohamed

I seen an add the other day, R1.75 per case anneal only, R2.30 deprimer,wash and anneal.

janfred

I have 3600 cases in circulation. I would much rather buy my own annealer than pay R6 a case.

Treeman

Quote from: Mohamed on Oct 06, 2024, 11:06 PMI seen an add the other day, R1.75 per case anneal only, R2.30 deprimer,wash and anneal.
Dunno how that would work  ;D , candle and a unemployed pensioner?
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

big5ifty

It's a good idea, I think the people who would use this service are more likely to be the big bore hunting rifle shooters, not so much the sport shooters.

Competition shooters using Lapua brass, that reload for example, are mostly invested with an annealer already.

Hunters that do not competition shoot are generally not invested in annealers, so when you consider 500 Jeffery brass, or 458 Lott brass, or the Nitro Express cartridges, then it makes good sense to pay a bit to have annealing done.

Make the annealing cost a low percentage of the cost of new brass, say 10%, and use that as a marketing point. It's also reasonable to price different calibers differently, as each needs differing amounts of current and time, which is a base cost. Have price breaks on quantity. Offer courier pickup and delivery as a service.

Againstthegrains

Another way to look at pricing is to work out the capital cost of the equipment vs use. If you charge R5 per doppie and a machine is 5K. Anybody who anneals more than a 1000 brass in less than 5 years, would rather just buy their own machine.

Also consider that shipping plays a part if people are going to send you brass. Cheapest locker to locker shipping via Pudo is R60 in one direction. Even if you drive from one side of JHB to another, its that much in petrol.

Maybe set up a stall in a local gun shop and have an anneal while you wait service.

Mohamed

Quote from: Treeman on Oct 07, 2024, 08:01 AM
Quote from: Mohamed on Oct 06, 2024, 11:06 PMI seen an add the other day, R1.75 per case anneal only, R2.30 deprimer,wash and anneal.
Dunno how that would work  ;D , candle and a unemployed pensioner?
Here's the advert

Treeman

Just phoned him, - he laughed about the poster, said he was working in Nigeria at the moment, but that his last pricing was R5 a case.
Ya !- not much you can buy anymore attached to any variation of one Rand payment in this decade.
Therefore I am me.

Mohamed

Surprised that he posted his advert a few days ago with the old price.

Treeman

Quote from: Mohamed on Oct 07, 2024, 05:34 PMSurprised that he posted his advert a few days ago with the old price.
Ya, I doubt that - it must b an old add that somehow came up as new to you. I phoned him, Afrikaans guy working in a very loud environment in Nigeria.
He sounded a bit irritated at my asking about it all, not rude, but a bit of like not interested and interrupted him for nothing in his voice.
He kinda laughed like I was being ridiculous, I should know the answer to my question already, then said the last cases he did were at R5 
Therefore I am me.

Newton

Why not just get a local gas annealer at R4,000.00 and offer a service with that ?
Will the average hunter / shooter know or be able to tell the difference between a cartridge case so processed to one processed in a R20,000.00 fancy induction annealer ?
When many claim that the gas annealer does a satisfactory job
Especially when the more fancy option will cost more ?

People with big bore expensive ammo / cases do not shoot that often ( RECOIL ) and probably only need 100 cases to be reloaded perhaps two or three times.

Ask here - where all the big bore guys hang out - and see what sort of reply you get

Africa Hunting