.303 Epps dies

Started by Treeman, Jun 16, 2024, 08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Hey guys, I am trying to dig up a Epps die set for .303,  please get your ears to the ground and help me find a set.
I am who I am - I am not who you want me to be.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Do you have a P14 action?

To Epps a 303 is useless without the stronger action.

Treeman

finally built that rifle I spoke of on Gunsite all those years ago. P14 22-inch barrel, should get it Wednesday.
Therefore I am me.

Ds J

Jealous!  Please post some pics!?

Tripodmvr

What projectiles and propellant are you planning to use? Had a look at 180S&B with a 22 inch barrel and you might get an accurate node just over 2700fps with VV N550. Another good contender is a 150TSX at 2900fps.

Treeman

Quote from: Ds J on Jun 17, 2024, 02:38 PMJealous!  Please post some pics!?
Should get it Wednesday.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jun 17, 2024, 06:11 PMWhat projectiles and propellant are you planning to use? Had a look at 180S&B with a 22 inch barrel and you might get an accurate node just over 2700fps with VV N550. Another good contender is a 150TSX at 2900fps.
Ja, I am thinking a decent 170 -180 gr bullet at over 2600 fps but under 2700, that excessive meat damage speed at 100 m is what I wish to avoid, perhaps 2600 is a better speed. I want away from the .270Win speeds.
Therefore I am me.

Treeman

come on, a whole country and no dies ????
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

@Treeman. Post it on Gunsite ;D  ;D  ;D

Treeman

Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jun 18, 2024, 02:45 PM@Treeman. Post it on Gunsite ;D  ;D  ;D
Come on mate, dont be a dick  ;D
Put a post out for your buddy Treeman ----------------pretty pleeeez
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Quote from: Treeman on Jun 18, 2024, 06:08 PM
Quote from: Tripodmvr on Jun 18, 2024, 02:45 PM@Treeman. Post it on Gunsite ;D  ;D  ;D
Come on mate, dont be a dick  ;D
Put a post out for your buddy Treeman ----------------pretty pleeeez

I already have. Posted on Jaracal. Got one reply. I think Giepie works overseas and this is his answer.

Ek het 'n stel vir 303Epps wat ek nie meer beplan om te gebruik nie, maar ek sal eers weer begin September terug by die huis wees.

Treeman

I already have. Posted on Jaracal. Got one reply. I think Giepie works overseas and this is his answer.

Ek het 'n stel vir 303Epps wat ek nie meer beplan om te gebruik nie, maar ek sal eers weer begin September terug by die huis wees.
[/quote]
Oom Drie, you a real mate, thank you so much, lets see what happens ? Wonder if his wife could post it ?
But then again, only 3 months away - fire-forming and neck-sizing ? maybe still some time before a full resize of first cases will be needed ?
I await your magic sir
Therefore I am me.

Tripodmvr

Sent message to the OP and will get back to you.

Treeman

I have heard great variance in opinions on the following matter. When fire forming cases you can use rifle with previous accurate load and end with Epps cases. You can not use rifle as accurate shooter because case dimensions change when shooting. You can use rifle accurately while fire forming, but will then have to develop a load for the formed cases.
There have also been some half and half opinions.
Me ! - find any bullets that fit and any old primers and fireform cases, then work on a load for the Epps cases.
Therefore I am me.

janfred

Because the neck is untouched in the conversion, there is no reason that the process of fireforming the cases will negatively affect the accuracy.

The muzzle velocity will be less because  quite a bit of energy is used to stretch the brass. Wouldn't use them for hunting at extended range, but they should work OK for paper punching.